83-87 Hunter 31 Owners

Apr 11, 2009
Hunter 31 Thunder Bay
Hello all

I am planning to do some deck hardware upgrades this winter. I mostly cruise but have begun to do casual club racing. I am looking to get some ideas from other owners how they have things set up, ie how many clutches, which halyards exit which side? I would like to add a spinnaker pole downhaul as well. What have you done with those reefing lines, the outhaul, what have you run to the cockpit? Pictures are even better. I have a general idea, but before I commit to anything I would like to see what others have done.
Thanks
Dave

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
H-34 Spinnaker Rigging

Dave, My 34 was rigged for racing by PO.. I don't have a bunch of pics but will describe briefly..On starboard side of companionway: double rope clutch.. Main halyard and starboard jib halyard; #1 Main Reef line, run through tunnel to a horn cleat; topping lift run through the tunnel to a cam cleat; on cabin side, downhaul running to cam cleat..
On port side, out from center, double rope clutch with spin halyard and port jib halyard. (two jib halyards to allow headsail peels from the double grooved foil)
Next is #2 reef; then Boom Vang .. again the downhaul is rigged to a cam cleat .. The downhaul can be adjusted from either side. mast head shot shows the spin halyard block and the mast inlet/fairlead fitting on mast. Picture of dirty boat side shows downhaul line run through fairleads just under teak "eyebrow". Downhaul line, stbd side, runs forward, then to a cheek block to turn it amidships, then to a pad mounted block, then through a block with a snapshackle, then down to another pad mounted block , to the other side cheek block, then aft on the port side to a cam cleat, The pole bridle snaps onto the shackle of the moving block..

Thinking the 31 could be very similarly rigged

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The stargazer 1984 H31 came with two dual deck organizer blocks, with two dual clutches running lines back to the cockpit. They had main halyard, jib halyard, main sheet, and boom vang run back from the mast. I too want to add a Spinnaker, So I changed the main sheet routing so that it is now a Triple with swivel and cam. at the Traveler.

How it used to Run forward along boom, down to deck blocks and back to cockpit

How it runs now.

This saved my four blocks worth of friction on the main sheet, and freed up the deck organizer and clutch to allow for a Spinnaker halyard.

This change will not work well if you have a dodger.

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
Highly recommend Garhauer for upgrading deck hardware and blocks.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Highly recommend Garhauer for upgrading deck hardware and blocks.
I concur with Tom we put in two new triple clutches from Garhauer, love them! Well built and reasonably priced. We also have their ez car system for our Genoa sheets, I can shape my genny just right with them. I will take some pictures next time I am by the boat.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
set up for mine is double clutches each side - starboard are main halyard and vang, port side are jib and spinnaker halyards. main sheet is on traveler set up across cabin top and is not led aft (may change sometime down the line like Pateco's if i install a dodger). also single reef and main shaping controls are at mast and not led aft. topping lift for pole is at mast and not led aft mast.
DSC02157.JPG

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here is the set up we have and I like it very much. On the starboard side are the mainsail controls. The red clutch hold the main halyard, the blue clutch holds our jiffy reeding line, and the black clutch the boom vang. The red line going through the jamb cleat is the main sheet. On the port side the back clutch holds the spinnaker halyard (it speaks to my dreams to fly an asym some day) and the blue clutch holds the jib halyard and we have an open one should we want to add something some day. The coiled line you can see in the picture of the starboard side is the starboard traveler control line, it is long enough (so is the port one) to reach to the wheel so that on the few occasions I am single handing and have desire enough to raise the main I can control it without leaving the wheel. The topping lift and lazy jacks terminate at the boom. The only thing I would like to change is how main sheet works, but I haven't figured out a better way yet.

Last edited: