82 Mac25 versus a 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger

I am going to purchase a Mac25, I have a choice between a 82 and 83, is there any difference between them?

M

Mike

The Real question, Condition

Check them both closely for all the things that need to be checked. If you want , I can post an extensive list of thing to check. Any difference in condition should be the deciding factor. Mike

R

Roger

Thank you

Yes, I would like that very much. It would help me quite a bit to find a good sailboat. Also is it important that the bottom of the boat is painted?

B

Bob

Thigs to look for.

I'm looking at an 82 Mac 25, and would be thankful for a list of gotch's.

M

Mike

Buyers Check List

This is my standard reply to anyone who is purchasing a mac 25: The boat is made up of systems. Check each one carefully. 1 Standing rigging, check for frayed cables, loose or worn fittings, corrosion around compression fittings, frozen turn buckles etc. 2 Spars, check mast and boom for straightness, freedom from corrosion, are attachment holes worn over large, are all attachments tight, check the mast head to be sure the halyard sheaves are in good condition and that the halyards will run freely. 3 Sails, Check for chaffing wear, is the cloth old and weak, is there wear where the cloth wraps around the head rope. Are the snaps for the jib corroded solid or are they easy to open and close. You might have to take that sail down quickly sometime. 4 Running rigging, are the sheets in good shape, if not this is not too expensive to cure. How about the fairleads, deck eyes, locking cams and cleats, are they all there, working and solidly mounted? 5 Hull, Check both out of and in the water. Is there evidence of major repair, any bulges, bumps or uneven areas? Are there any cracks or other signs of stress or improper trailering? Are all attachments tight and solid? 6 Deck, cockpit and cabin. Are all components solid and fit, are there cracks or signs of delamination. are the portlights sound and leak free, Does the companionway, pop top, fore hatch all seem OK? Are all interior fixtures there, table, cushions and so forth? 7 Electrical. What condition are the running, anchor and masthead lights in? Is the wiring corrosion free? How old is the battery and does it have a charging system? Check the fuses in the distribution panel, are they corroded into the fuse holders? Is there a cabin light and does it work? 8 Keel and Winch. How badly rusted is the keel, it is almost always rusted but how bad? Check the keel winch for proper operation and the cable for frayed areas. With the boat in the water does the pivot bolt leak. 9 Other component parts. Check the rudder, is it heavy, if so it is probably waterlogged. Check to make sure it has all parts (ie. tiller) and that the gudgeons and pintles are straight and mounted solid. Check the outboard motor mount, does it still have a working lift spring and does it raise and lower easily with the motor mounted. Check the porta potty if so equipped. When was the last time that thing was emptied???? Finally, Check the boat rigged and in the water. Does she sit straight or list to one side? If so is it because of improper stowage or a heavy side due to a major repair. Does the the mast stand fair and straight or skew to one side, if so is it rigging adjustments. DOES IT LEAK? Check the bilge for signs of leakage, I would personally avoid a boat that has a high water mark in the bilge. Check to see that all the little things are there, anchor, compass, boathook, dock lines, fenders, bilge pump or bucket, Coast Guard required flares, PFD's as required by law. All these little thing are going to add up to quite an unexpected bill. Yeah, it's a lot to check but when you’re out there, EVERYTHING is safety related. Happy Sails To You, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.