'82 Irwin 34 compression post sweating at base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2012
catalina 30 Tampa
I just closely inspected an Irwin 34 in pretty good shape overall but could not figure out where to access the base of the mast compression post/spacer that transfers the load through the shower pan to the keel. Close eyeing of the deck around the mast base did not reveal sagging but I wanted to be thorough. I did not see where the mast wire harness enters and exits the post. No apparent trim panel to pry back. My greatest concern is how the lower 18 inches of the post felt damp and sweaty to the touch in spite of no discoloration or other visual indications of a problem. My plastic hammer also offered no difference in sound for the full height of the post. I'm wondering if I should hire a surveyor although I'm otherwise comfortable in making an offer on this boat which will include sea trial and sling lift for bottom inspection. Please offer any tips on accessing the mast wiring. I did not want to randomly pry on the trim strips in the area since it's not my boat. Perhaps the wiring exits in the headliner? Is there a concealed steel post? The current Florida weather includes chilly nights and 70 degree days. Is there a chance I was just detecting a bit of surface condensation due to thermal mass of the bulkhead and post in the closed head compartment? The boat had been closed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.