'82 H36 fuel pickup tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Anyone know if these year boats have a screen at the end of the fuel pickup tube?

Thanks,
Marc

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Never heard of a screen on a Cherubini fuel pickup.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I concur with Ed. On my 1983 H37C, the tube goes to within 3/4 inch of the bottom of the tank and is open-ended. If you have an aluminum diesel tank like ours, I would bet dollars to donuts its the same. The tanks were not meant to be opened for inspection (although most of us have put in cleanout hatches) and thus no screen would have been fitted. If you are having trouble getting fuel from the tank, there is probably crud in the bottom. Search this forum and you will find info on cutting a clean out hatch in the tank.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
We need Rardi to jump in here with his experience since he owns an H36. You are right Jim, but 3/4" is a little misleading. Our tube runs down the inside, bottom seam, right on the bottom. It stops within 3/4" of the end of the tank, the lowest point of the tank. So if the H36 is similar then any gunk finds its way to that corner, right at the pickup.

Also our H37C tanks have baffles. So you need to know where to place the cleanouts.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Ok thanks guys. Yes I was having some engine trouble recently but I had just changed the primary (Racor 500) and secondary filter (Kubota diesel spin-on type, not sure of the micron but suspect it is 2 or 10). Anyways, the new Racor filter I put in was a 2 micron size and I think that's a no-no (from what I have been reading the primary should be a 30 mic and secondary something less). The engine would run great for about 45-60 min then it would stammer and lose power, then start going again. At one point it quit altogether which is no fun when you are trying to dock the boat....

So I changed the Racor to a 30 micron and it didn't have nearly as much of a problem, still hiccuped once or twice though but nothing bad. So I had asked the question about the screen to make sure I didn't need to remove it or blow it out....sounds like that's not a source of the problem.

Still need to check to make sure i'm not letting air into the system as well, as that could be the issue as well. The saga continues. Thanks again.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.