'82 Catalina 25 - what to do first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

Purchasing my first boat and just geeting prepared to start dumping hard earned money into that proverbial hole in the water. What do I do first? The standing rigging is original. The swing keel cable and pin are original. The rudder, splitting almost to the water line, is original. The spreader bracket is the original aluminium. My first thought, once the boat comes out of the water this fall, would be to attend to the keel, replacing the critical keel pin assembly and cable attachment. The boat has always been kept in the salt waters of Barnegat Bay, NJ. How do I go about doing this? Is there any documented procedure? Can I even do it with the boat supported by the keel? Next, there was a suggestion in one article I read about installing teardrop zincs on the keel to help protect the cable assembly from electrolysis. Is this a worthwhile addition? Where do I install on the keel and in what orientation does the teardrop sit? Standing rigging apparently should be replaced every 10 years so at 20 years it is well overdue. My first year and the rest of this year will mainly be spent day sailing. Ah, and the rudder. Another $500 investment. So, my question is, with limited funds this first year, what should I concentrate on first? The keel? Standing rigging? Something else I've overlooked completely? Thanks for any insights/suggestions/condolences/whatever! Bill

F

F SONDERGAARD

CAT 25

WE HAVE A CATALINA 25,1982,ALSO. I WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE KEEL CABLE AND ZINC FIRST. WE DID OUR CABLE WITH THE BOAT ON JACKS. IT IS VERY EASY. AS FAR AS THE ZINC, WE JUST SCREWED IT INTO THE SIDE OF THE KEEL. CATALINA DIRECT IN CALIFORNIA HAS ANYTHING YOU COULD NEED. THEY ARE NOT ON THE NET, BUT HAVE A 1-800 NUMBER. ALL OUR RIGGING IS ORIGINAL AND OK. ITS A GREAT BOAT! GOOD LUCK!!

D

Doug Young

First things First

Lets look at it from a safty point of view. 1) Do the swing kel cable and the hindge pin it pivots on as well as the turning ball. If this cable snaps and th keel slams down it can sink you by rupturing the keel trunk. Do it first. Next inspect the rigging for meat hooks or broken strands. Look for cracks or deteriorization at the swaged ends. Put a ring of fingernail polish where the cable enters the swage when done. This will let you know if the cable is pulling out of the swage later on. If it begins to pull the polish will crack of lift away from the swage. Next fix the rudder. Dry it out well. Drill a few holes into th seperated edge and inject it full of epoxie. Lt it set up hard and sand it down. Re glass or re seal the edge and re paint. To do the keel put the boat on boat stands and lower the keel with its cable untill it rests on the ground. Block it up and support it whil you detach the cable and pin. Do one at a time. try www.catalinadirect.com for parts. A small tear drop zink wont hurt put it where it wont affect the keel retraction. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.