8 hp versus 9.9 hp outboard versus prop change for docking control on H26

LuckyD

Aug 31, 2019
Hunter H26 Jacomo Lake
I am interested in comments or experience regarding 8 hp vs 9.9 hp 2 stroke outboard. I have 1996 H26 with 2 stroke Suzuki 8 hp 3 blade prop - assume original prop. Engine runs fine and pull starts fine. I find it difficult to back out of slip with any significant stern wind over 10-12 mph. Boat moves very slowly and any side wind angle tends to push me back toward other boat slips. Never had any collisions or super close calls but unnerving trying to pull away. Not particularly reassuring entering slip either when I go into reverse to slow down forward momentum. I have to go in with as slow as possible forward momentum to be able to slow enough to stop in slip, and works fine in light winds, but if any side wind I have to enter slip under more power and very hard to avoid bow impact. I have a large buoy tied in front of slip to bump so it is manageable but more stopping power would be desirable. I have often wondered if 9.9 motor would improve thrust power enough to be noticeable or if a 4 blade prop on my 8 hp would have more impact for forward and reverse power to control boat better without giving up too much forward speed when needed using the 4 blade vs 3 blade prop. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
I put a Dual Thrust prop on my 6 hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my 23.5 Hunter just for that reason ,backing out of slip.Improved contal alot,dont think it improve forward speed but wasn,t looking for that.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am interested in comments or experience regarding 8 hp vs 9.9 hp 2 stroke outboard. I have 1996 H26 with 2 stroke Suzuki 8 hp 3 blade prop - assume original prop. Engine runs fine and pull starts fine. I find it difficult to back out of slip with any significant stern wind over 10-12 mph. Boat moves very slowly and any side wind angle tends to push me back toward other boat slips. Never had any collisions or super close calls but unnerving trying to pull away. Not particularly reassuring entering slip either when I go into reverse to slow down forward momentum. I have to go in with as slow as possible forward momentum to be able to slow enough to stop in slip, and works fine in light winds, but if any side wind I have to enter slip under more power and very hard to avoid bow impact. I have a large buoy tied in front of slip to bump so it is manageable but more stopping power would be desirable. I have often wondered if 9.9 motor would improve thrust power enough to be noticeable or if a 4 blade prop on my 8 hp would have more impact for forward and reverse power to control boat better without giving up too much forward speed when needed using the 4 blade vs 3 blade prop. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated.
Yes approaching or departing a dock is more of an art than a science and it's typically different on each occasion. This is even more true with a sailboat that needs flow past the rudder for control.

Some have coupled the motor to the rudder to aid in slow speed maneuvering, turn the tiller turn the motor.

Personally I would make the investment in a different prop as it's way less $ than a new motor and you would then have a spare prop.

If you have a prop repair shop nearby go visit as they are a wealth of knowledge and you might be able to pick up a reconditioned one for less $

LuckyD

Aug 31, 2019
Hunter H26 Jacomo Lake
Thank you for the replies. I had not thought of a duel thrust prop. I have read that incorrectly sized props can cause engine damage over time so I will talk to a prop shop to see what options might work for my current engine. I think the prop will likely have way more impact than horsepower anyway. I know of a 77 Oday 22 sailboat for sale that has a 9.9 hp 2 stroke asking $800 with trailer so I considered buying just for the engine and sell or donate the boat and trailer to local sailing club if the 9.9 hp would have much impact. A lot of trouble for more hp not knowing for sure it would even matter for reverse needs in slip.

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
Same situation here. I had a 9.9 four high thrust 4 stroke that was done. Just picked up a 8hp 2 stroke and the difference is night and day. No issues away from the dock but the small prop on the 8hp is worthless around the dock. Definitely looking for a different prop.

Jul 5, 2016
Hunter H260 Arlington Yacht Club
I have the same issue with my H260 with a Nissan (Tohatsu) 8hp 2-stroke. Regarding poor backing performance I assumed this was due to the exhaust entering the flow across the blades causing cavitation. Not sure how we can avoid this design issue. I have had similar experiences with larger hp outboard motors on power boats as well so I am not sure if increased hp will help very much.
I had not considered a prop change because I did not realize there were options available (I have never seen spare props for small Nissans in a store). On-line it looks like there are slightly larger diameter, lower pitch & 4-blade props available with higher thrust ratings. I may be ordering and experimenting soon. Anxious to see an improvement in this area as well.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I really doubt an increase of 2 HP - (8-9.9) would have any impact on "reverse" power docking as you are likely never at full open throttle in those situations or I would hope that wasn't necessary anyway :yikes: !!!:)

Not exactly the same as a small outboard but to illustrate my two cents....I changed my standard 3 blade prop on my 200hp power boat to a 4 blade prop with a more bottom end attitude and went from constantly adjusting throttle towing tubes and wakeboards to set it and forget it. The boat just jumped out of the hole! Totally different handling and a lot more control docking and maneuvering in tight quarters. I was at a point where I was looking at a different boat until I dinged my prop, went to the local "prop shop" and the owner "loaned" me the 4 blade to try. The prop would cavitate at really high rpms so I lost maybe 5% on the top end but I rarely wanted to go that fast anyway.

LuckyD

Aug 31, 2019
Hunter H26 Jacomo Lake
Stay tuned and I will report my findings. I have a friend that works for Midwest Propeller and is going to research the available props for my boat. He said 4 blade would greatly reduce the problem but there may be limited options for my Suzuki 8 hp outboard. He also said dual thrust props would work but even more limited choices depending on engine. I should know more this week.

LuckyD

Aug 31, 2019
Hunter H26 Jacomo Lake
Found out my 1995 Suzuki 8 hp does not have any propeller options other than 3 blade. Mercury and newer 9.9 Johnson (not 1970's versions with shear pin design) would have other prop options. Found a used 2007 Mercury 9.9 hp 4-stroke long shaft that I could buy 4 blade high thrust propeller for and have about $1000 to $1500 max in it this engine set up. 12 years newer engine than mine and more power to boot but need to confirm it will fit into engine head well on boat or have to modify mounting to extend the mounting to fit. I do believe this would resolve my problem with low speed control and maneuvering.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I have a brand new Honda 9.9 4 stroke that weighs 98 pounds. The boatyard ordered, and installed said motor on a Panther adjustable (raise and lower) motor mount. The adjustable mount comes equipped with four springs to help with weight balance when raising the motor. Only problem is that it doesn’t work and I’m stuck with the motor in the down position all the time. I can’t be leaving the motor pickling in salt water for days at a time and, frankly, I feel like a fool always having to enlist a boatyard crew member to always bail me out of this predicament. I’ve noticed that they have to jiggle and finesse the motor mount, as well. Whereby, they’ll say “These can be temperamental.” Well, I can’t deal with this and I need some advise. Anybody have a suggestion?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When starting to back up; there is no water flow over the rudder blade to give steerage when backing up. One resolve is the engine and a lot depends on hp, prop, high thrust and so on. The other is a tie bar attaching the rudder to the motor. Then that will resolve many issues. So consider both as to a solution.

Was at Lake Powell and absolutely no sailboats seen

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I have a brand new Honda 9.9 4 stroke that weighs 98 pounds. The boatyard ordered, and installed said motor on a Panther adjustable (raise and lower) motor mount. The adjustable mount comes equipped with four springs to help with weight balance when raising the motor. Only problem is that it doesn’t work and I’m stuck with the motor in the down position all the time. I can’t be leaving the motor pickling in salt water for days at a time and, frankly, I feel like a fool always having to enlist a boatyard crew member to always bail me out of this predicament. I’ve noticed that they have to jiggle and finesse the motor mount, as well. Whereby, they’ll say “These can be temperamental.” Well, I can’t deal with this and I need some advise. Anybody have a suggestion?
My Mercury 9.9 4 stroke weighed 120 lb. I would think yours must weigh more than 98 lb so the bracket is not suitable to lift the weight. I installed a bracket that could lift 175 lb and it also was hard to lift, but I never left it in salt water. They must be rinsed with fresh water.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
When starting to back up; there is no water flow over the rudder blade to give steerage when backing up. One resolve is the engine and a lot depends on hp, prop, high thrust and so on. The other is a tie bar attaching the rudder to the motor. Then that will resolve many issues. So consider both as to a solution.

Was at Lake Powell and absolutely no sailboats seen
I stay on Lake Powell three weeks a year in my H26

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
The Honda 9.9 long shaft weighs 98 pounds. I’m not a weight lifter but I don’t have a problem lifting that weight. For years I lifted my old 7.5 Honda which weighed around 80 pounds, or so. No, the problem is with the Panther motor mount which doesn’t appear to be user friendly. It just doesn’t want to cooperate (at least with me). Thanks for your input, though.