8 Bells for the passing of Frank Butler

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I saw the announcement this morning from the Catalina 22 association and thought I would pass along word here as well. Frank Butler the founder of Catalina Yachts passed away november 15th 2020. Having owned, sailed, and even lived on various catalina yachts over the years I can say that I am eternally grateful for the contributituations he made to sailing. If not for boats like the C22 and C14 etc. how many would have never even gotten started in sailing? His company was defined by well built affordable family oriented sailing yachts with fantastic customer support. May his legacy live on wherever the winds blow and may the future of Catalina Yachts look as bright as the past. 8 Bells and all's well. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family he leaves behind.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Frank for all you did for the Sailboat community.
Fair winds and smooth sailing among the clouds.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
RIP, Frank. You had a vision and the focus to make it happen. You were also tight with a dollar. I know. I used to shake you down yearly for a contribution. I admire you and your company for what you contributed.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
That's incredibly sad to hear. Can't imagine what kind of boat I would have grown up on and now own if it weren't for him. He will always be credited to designing the most produced design. Can't argue with over 6000 Catalina 30's built and sold. Good design at a good price.