8.0B crack in the keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
Chrysler C22 On it's trailer
Hello all,

I am looking at a 1979 S2 8.0B, I have not seen the boat in person but the owner says there is a crack starting where the keel and hull come together. From what I can find online the keel casing is molded with the hull, is this correct? If so I believe this could be a major structural concern. Has any other S2 owners seen or repaired something along this line.

The owner also said the deck may be soft around the mast but was told this buy a potential buyer. Is this also an issue with the S2's?

Thanks.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Ouch. A crack at the turn of the keel (which is integrated into the hull on the 8.0B) like that probably means a pretty hearty grounding occurred. Any evidence of damage on the front / bottom of the keel? If it is a crack the keel is probably saturated with water too. Get a professional survey or take a walk from this one if its wet.

Best case is that its just a crack in many layers of bottom paint and isn't in the hull at all. Got a photo? Has the owner removed the bottom paint to examine it? Is the hull around the keel dented up too?

Regarding the mast. This is an easy one. Take a plastic hammer or a plastic handled screwdrive on deck. Go to the middle of the deck bewteen the mast and the forward hatch where there is nothing bolted to the deck. Tap the handle on the deck. The sound should be very sharp. Now move over to the chain plates. Chances are there is water intrusion in this area. Tap near them. If it is wet you will here a dull thud. Now that you are educated, play wood pecker all over the deck, including around the mast step to figure out if its truly wet. A surveyor with a moisture meter is your best option, but if the boat is a few thousand and has an outboard and not an inboard it may not be worth it to you. By the way...if it is wet near the chain plates check them inside the cabin. They typically are attached to the wooden bulkheads, which can rot allowing the chain plates to pull up and your mast to go for a swim.

Here is a link to Bret's site on the 8.0B, in case you haven't found it.

http://web.mac.com/overholtzer/impliedconsent/Documents.html

Feb 11, 2010
Chrysler C22 On it's trailer
Thanks BobM, just the kind of info I was looking for. I have not seen the boat in person yet(600 miles one way). The owner is going to send me some pics of the cracked area, they also say the crack started forming while sitting on the roller trailer and has not been in the water for 2 years.

They want $4500 with the trailer and has a 15hp diesel sail drive that was last run 2 years ago.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I'd be surprised if the saildrive is a diesel unless it is an upgrade. Who made it? The OMC units were gas. If it is a newer Volvo it might be a diesel.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The price is more than reasonable if the engine is operable and the trailer isn't junk. How and what are the sails?

Jan 22, 2010
S2 27 Performance Cruiser In the water
Hello all,

I am looking at a 1979 S2 8.0B, I have not seen the boat in person but the owner says there is a crack starting where the keel and hull come together. From what I can find online the keel casing is molded with the hull, is this correct? If so I believe this could be a major structural concern. Has any other S2 owners seen or repaired something along this line.

The owner also said the deck may be soft around the mast but was told this buy a potential buyer. Is this also an issue with the S2's?

Thanks.
have the owner take a picture of the bilge area. When I was looking at a 1980 s2 8.0A, I was able to stick a digital camera into the bilge area - there is an access door to the bilge near the companionway steps. I was able to get some excellent pictures of the bilge cap, floor stringers and the hull area.

Not sure if boat is located in area where cold, but water from fridge box drains there if I recall. Could have caused some issues if it froze. Also check deck area where mast sits as they have a tendancy to leak. Finallly check the rudder post

Status
Not open for further replies.