79 Hunter 30 - What make of roller furler is this?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Rochester, New York (Lake Ontario)
Hello fellow sailors of classic boats,
I have a 1979 Hunter 30 and the roller furling has failed. Grittiness and hard to turn indicating a potential bearing replacement is required. Problem is, I can't identify the make or model of furler and there are no markings or symbols on it that I can find. If anyone can identify the make or model that would be great! A source for replacement bearings?
Kind regards,
Bob

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Jan 22, 2008
Thank you!
I appreciate the information, that's a good approach and I will try it.
Regards, Bob

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If you can get the furler apart and determine that it is failed ball bearings then you may be able to find them locally. I had to replace some ball bearings in my Garhaur traveler after some escaped when I disassembled it. I measured them with a caliper then found my local chandlery stocks Harken Torlon balls in the size I needed. You will likely want Torlon ball bearings for a furler, at least they are the most common material for them.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you end up repairing the furler I recommend BC Precision for Torlon and stainless bearings. I think I got 500 stainless for $10 shipped.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
That does look like an early CDI, but it also looks like someone replaced the original aluminum foil with CDI's later plastic extrusion. Appears an adapter was made up to convert it. The original aluminum foils had connector pieces that liked to break if you looked at them cross-eyed. And of course, CDI quit making them. I still have the CDI that came on my 1983 Hunter 33. COMPLETE, except of course for a few broken connectors. I replaced it the first winter with a Harken. I was NEVER sorry I did that . Twenty years or so ago it cost if I recall $1300 to $1400 with a very hefty show discount. Honestly, you'd be nuts to try to resurect that old thing but if you do I have the old one. Series "7" comes to mind, but with what's left of my mind I certainly won't swear to that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hello fellow sailors,
Thanks to everyone for their input and the information shared. I'm still unable to figure out what make it is and can't find a label, name or markings on it. I plan on removing it soon, as the boat will be on the hard for the winter. I'd like to bring the furler home to the shop, disassemble and inspect it. Perhaps then I will find a marking that will identify the make of it. I plan on securing the mast with the jib and main halyards long enough to remove it, and then reinstall the fore-stay. I hope after some disassembly it will slide off the fore-stay. If anyone has experience removing a furler that's similar, I'd be interested in hearing how you did it.
Regards,
Bob