79 Hunter 27 Spedometer wheel

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Is it possible to buy just a spedometer wheel on the thru-hull fitting. Trying to order a new wheel through my local shop but with them being closed its tough. The wheel has/had 6 fins originally and 1.5" diameter. The thru-hull housing was 1.75" x 3" Are the thru hull fitting usually same brand as the guage? Any idea on the brand by the markings. The guage says mariner but the thru hull says TR-5. Trying to provide as much info as possible to my local shop to see my options. Hoping someone could fill in the blanks.
Thanks
chris
20200511_193321.jpg
20200511_193017.jpg
20200511_193000.jpg
20200508_104616.jpg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I think you might find what you need from these folks. I bought an entire transducer with paddle-wheel and cable two years ago.

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Looks like moore instruments went under but two people are still selling parts but no guages. Did your new speed transmitter have any issues with your current guage. I have email out to company to determine if guages are an issue and also if it will fit my existing thru-hull. if it doesnt work I may to go with new guages time is right for some newer tech stuff.

Thanks
Chris

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Looks like moore instruments went under but two people are still selling parts but no guages. Did your new speed transmitter have any issues with your current guage. I have email out to company to determine if guages are an issue and also if it will fit my existing thru-hull. if it doesnt work I may to go with new guages time is right for some newer tech stuff.

Thanks
Chris
Hey Chris, I suspected that may be the case with unavailable components. Just so you are aware, my order for the transducer was placed over three seasons ago. I just kept the link to their website on file for potential future needs. Regardless, I’d like to share my plight with the knot-meter transducer. Every winter season, starting at the end of October, my boat gets hauled out by travel lift and placed in a cradle. The cradle and boat are then lifted by tractor-trailer on a pneumatic trailer system and hauled back to the parking lot associated with our marina for winter storage outdoors. The cycle reverses itself in the spring.

The straps that lift the boat into and out of the launch slip are used hundreds of time and do a lot of damage to hull, freeboard, and paint/polish in general. The other casualty has been my paddlewheel on the knot meter, having to replace it each of the previous two seasons. The strap lifting crushes this plastic POS. It’s unfortunate that it’s position is forward of the keel on port side and in the exact spot where the straps need to tension and get a grip.

I gave up on this antiquated analog system and added some electronics in the form of a Lowrance Hook 7 for both depth and speed (SOG), and simple navigation, which I mounted to my pedestal. So far I’m leaving the useless gauges intact as mounted on the companionway bulkhead for old school aesthetics.

My old knot meter gauge worked fine with the new paddle wheels/transducer until the paddles get crushed.

Updating your instrumentation and sensors may be the best solution. :cool:

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
You might try these folks. See if this is the same transducer.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Chris,

I think I may have a used and possible a new transducer. Let me know if you’re still looking and I can check.

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
I just ordered one but send me a message if your looking to offload. After talking to the previous owner today he said the depth finder didn't work. So I will be placing another order when SR instruments open on Tuesday. let me know if you have a depth finder transducer.
thank you
chris

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Sorry it’s Datamarine not SR Marine - which I had on my previous boat.