79 Hunter 27 in need of hatch replacements

Jan 5, 2015
Hunter 27 Melbourne
I have my first sailboat now for 3 years. The hatches must be original as they are cracked and leaking beyond repair. The information I have viewed indicates a few people have replaced the forward trapezoid hatch with a square one. Can I get any help on this? How would I begin the process of choosing the right replacement, where to look, and what are the steps to take. I would like to learn how to do this correctly as both need replacement and next the side windows. We are in Florida and a solid hatch may be better as it gets hot fast. Any thoughts on this

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The store on this site is the best place to start. If they don’t have it, they will know where to send you,

We replaced our forward hatch with a trapezoidal Bomar that was an exact fit.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have to replace both hatches on my boat. But it's only the tinted plastic that is cracked. So I won't change the frames, only the plastic. If you are interested in knowing more, just let me know.

dj

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I copied this image from the H27 mods section on this forum. It shows a Bomar trapezoid hatch that has replaced the original hatch. It shows that there is a lot of flat mounting area all around the hatch. When I replaced my hatches, I found a couple of salvaged square ones that fit nicely. Although, if you are buying a new forward hatch, get the trapezoid. The square one does fit ok, and keeps the water out. Be prepared to do a little grinding and filling void areas with thickened epoxy.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
If the aluminum frame is not damaged, I would seriously look at just replacing the plastic lens and/or the rubber gasket. You'll save yourself close to $1k compared to an all new Bomar hatch. Sounds like dLj may be on the right track.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Both of my old hatches were broken where the snubbers were supposed to hold them tightly closed. The only way to keep them from popping open was to tighten the arm support. If your hatches only problems are the lenses, just replace the lenses.