79 H33 bilge water source

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry Arnold

Yesterday solved an aggravating leak which well may have applicability to other owners of like vintage H33s. Water showed up in the bilge area forward of the mast compression post step. Water pooled until it ran over the top of the step footing and down into the main bilge area. It had been this way ever since I have had the boat, some 15 months. Finally located the leak at the vent pipe junction with the water tank. Taking off the vent hose, I could feel that there was something plugging the end of the vent. When pryed off, this something turned out to be a little red shipping cap evidently installed during manufacture of the tank to keep the interior from contamination during shipment and before installation. The shipping cap had been pierced (at the factory?) which allowed the vent to function but the presence of the cap prevented a good seal between the hose and fitting, even with the clamp drawn tight. Thus, with the tank full or nearly full, water leaked or sloshed out the vent pipe connection, down the front of the tank, appearing to view at the forward end of the bilge. The fittings at the forward edge of the water tank cannot be seen except with a mirror and light, but the fittings can be easily felt for the presence of water. A leak at the water supply fittings just next to the vent would produce similar result.

J

Jack Laird

Now fixing the rudder post leak is next.

Nice call. Now you can use that flashlight and stand on your head to tighten the rudder stuffing box. Ah, a dry boat....

S

Steve Beynon

Interesting discovery

I will have to check that out on my 79 H33. It gets a bit of water at the mast pole step Thanx Steve

B

Bob G.

Same problem

I have noticed the same water in the bilge on my '78 h33. Also, the last three times I filled the water tank the bilge pump kicked on at the same time the tank topped off. It sounds like my vent hose has come off at the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.