78 MAC 22: why it's not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Group,

I get asked "when are you going to launch it?"

Basically, now that I'm retired, I've got some health issues slowing me down (nothing insurmountable) but now I finally have the time to work on her, and I am making an effort to knock the worklist off ASAP.

Here's a list of what needs to be done before I dunk her. I hope to be sailing this Summer. Time will tell.

Thanks for your interest. :)

VBR,

Pat

78 MAC 22

1. Epoxy / fill hull blisters AMAP (and especially where temporary supports will meet hull.)

2. Reinforce (widget and glass) motor mount; rudder; starboard / aft cleat; ladder; bow ring; bow pulpit railing, anchor roller.

3. Reinforce (epoxy and glass) Internal bulkhead-to-hull joints.

4. Repair (widget and glass) keel lock bolt mounting boss @ trunk.

5. Repair (epoxy and glass) PO-inflicted holes in hull.

6. R&R Mast tabernacle.

7. Barrier Coat and Bottom Paint lower hull areas where temporary supports will ride.

8. RAISE AND SUPPORT BOAT; MOVE TRAILER 10’ FORWARD.

9. Operate Keel Winch to cycle Keel; inspect; treat in place or drop keel.

10. Finish lower hull barrier coat and bottom paint.

11. Finish side and top paint?

12. Reinstall windows.

13. Reinstall hatches.

14. Service trailer and rebuild bunks to fit Mac22.

15. Boat back on trailer. Touch-up paint where temporary supports rode, if necessary.

16.Assemble and test Standing Rigging.

17. Assemble and test Running Rigging and Sails.

18. Test operate outboard motor; break-in time.

19. Assemble required onboard documentation and equipment.

20. Proceed to first operational test inside breakwater.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Good luck Pat!

There is a saying in auto racing....
if it doesn't make the car faster, don't worry too much about it...

-I know you want to make the boat look pretty, but I'm of the opinion, go sailing sooner, rather than later....

best wishes!

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Good luck Pat!

There is a saying in auto racing....
if it doesn't make the car faster, don't worry too much about it...

-I know you want to make the boat look pretty, but I'm of the opinion, go sailing sooner, rather than later....

best wishes!

Thanks Mr. Bill.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'm with Bill. Pick out some things that can be done realistically (I have problems with that) in a month or two at the most and then work on things between trips. That is kind of what we have done and it has worked pretty well.

One thing you have going against you is the weather is so nice over there you aren't in a rushed like you would be on the mainland where you only have 5-6 months of the year you can sail in. Also it took me about a year after retiring to make better use of my time as there is always 'tomorrow'. When working you take advantage of the nights and weekends as that is all your have. It is still pretty easy for me to put things off till 'tomorrow' being retired, but my goal is to get at least 4-6 hours of productive work in per day.

Good luck and get past the health issues and enjoy the boat,

Sumner and Ruth

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I'm with Bill. Pick out some things that can be done realistically (I have problems with that) in a month or two at the most and then work on things between trips. That is kind of what we have done and it has worked pretty well.

One thing you have going against you is the weather is so nice over there you aren't in a rushed like you would be on the mainland where you only have 5-6 months of the year you can sail in. Also it took me about a year after retiring to make better use of my time as there is always 'tomorrow'. When working you take advantage of the nights and weekends as that is all your have. It is still pretty easy for me to put things off till 'tomorrow' being retired, but my goal is to get at least 4-6 hours of productive work in per day.

Good luck and get past the health issues and enjoy the boat,

Sumner and Ruth

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Thanks Sumner and Ruth! :)

I defer to the wisdom of your experience; but truth be told: that is my "short list". :redface:

I really want the boat to be sailing, too. The wait has been a drag, but it has given me opportunity to study and learn more about sailing a boat; about the boat we have; and about the environment in which I'll be sailing.

One good thing about the months she's spent sitting under the "Walmart carport" we bought to protect her from the rain, is that all those "acid-filled" hull blisters and other "wet areas" that I prepped are bone dry by now: ready for the epoxy. I'm afraid if I get it wet before some of this work is done, it won't "take" and I'll have to go back and do it over again.

But I'm trying my best; and anything I can find on that list (like the top and side paint) that doesn't absolutely need to be done before launch-day is probably gonna wait. You betcha!

So true about retirement. Like many other things in life, one thinks he knows what it will be like. I didn't. It's all about finding yourself again, and readjusting to a new roll in life, isn't it? I really am digging it, though. :dance:

So good to finally be able to do the things I want to do. Now, I've got to get more efficient at doing them! :D

Well, thanks again. But right now it just stopped raining, and I've got to go downstairs and check on the boat. Things to do....:dance:

VBR,

Pat

P.S. Not trying to snub you with a short reply, Mr. Bill. Just didn't have a lot of computer time last night. Thanks for your help! :)

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
And one other thing. A little public service announcement for the MacGregor sailboat community.

"Friends and neighbors, if you have an old MacGregor sailboat that's been sitting around for years, and that you're thinking of selling; and if that boat has somehow taken on a bit of water while sitting around, PLEASE DON'T DRILL HOLES THROUGH YOUR HULL TO DRAIN THE WATER OUT!

I'm told they have these amazing devices, like siphons, pumps, shop-vacs, sponges, rags, and buckets that will enable you to remove that water without you having to make like a termite. This is good because, then, the next poor schmuck (lke me) won't have to fix your "impromptu through-hull adaptations." :cussing:

(I'm a Mac owner, and I approved this message.) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.