‘78 Hunter 27 Tiller/rudder interface

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter 27 Pepin, Wi
We purchased a 1978 Hunter 27 last year. It’s been on the hard for the winter and before we put it in for this season we’re looking at doing some repairs. one of the concerning items for me is this split piece of teak under the tiller on the rudder shaft. There are large chunks missing on either side. I’m considering removing the tiller and replacing this piece and would like some advice. I could source another hardwood and treat it with varnish or epoxy or replace with something like starboard. Any thoughts on how to go about this repair?

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I think the two pieces of teak are there on purpose. It allows you to replace them without removing the rudder.
You could use teak or mahogany sealed in clear epoxy. Or you could use Starboard, as I don't think the compression force exceeds spec.
Not sure, but if you can gently wedge the collar up a couple of millimeters, you could remove the old, drill matching holes in the new and slide them into place.
You might also follow the "Rudder collar assembly" thread on the Cherubini section, (unless it is your thread as well).;)

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter 27 Pepin, Wi
There are clearly bits of it missing on my boat. Is there usually an intentional split though that has just widened over time? I did post a question in the other thread, though it's not my thread.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I see what you mean. Hopefully a H27C owner will chime in and give you more info.

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter 27 Pepin, Wi
Got a scrap of 3/4" starboard from the local yacht supply this weekend and fabricated a replacement on a picnic table before launching. Turned out pretty good. The scrap wasn't very wide so I made it as two pieces. This also kept me from having to remove the other bits from the rudder post in order to install.
IMG_9466 2.jpg