76 years ago today, on an island

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Six Marines raised a second flag on Japanese homeland territory for the first time during World War II, replacing a smaller flag that was raised a few hours before. The flag raising on Iwo Jima became the symbol of determination for a nation thrust into a war they did not want. The flag raisers were (according to new Marine Corps revisons) [amended to indicate this was the second flag raising that day]

Cpl. Harlon Block
Pfc. Harold Keller
Pfc. Ira Hayes
Pfc. Harold Schultz
Pfc. Franklin Sousley
Sgt. Michael Strank

1614094652546.png

1614094684446.png

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Six Marines raised a flag on Japanese homeland territory for the first time during World War II. The flag raising on Iwo Jima became the symbol of determination for a nation thrust into a war they did not want. The flag raisers were (according to new Marine Corps revisons)

Cpl. Harlon Block
Pfc. Harold Keller
Pfc. Ira Hayes
Pfc. Harold Schultz
Pfc. Franklin Sousley
Sgt. Michael Strank

View attachment 190671

View attachment 190672
OOO-RAH

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That was actually the second flag that the Marines raised that day!

Semper Fi Devil Dogs!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
That was actually the second flag that the Marines raised that day!

Semper Fi Devil Dogs!
That is correct. Since the first flag raising is seldom ever mentioned I didn't think that it was needed to say this was the second flag raising. However, I will amend the post to reflect that.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That is correct. Since the first flag raising is seldom ever mentioned I didn't think that it was needed to say this was the second flag raising. However, I will amend the post to reflect that.
Wasn't correcting you Brian. I just thought the men were outstanding that day to climb up not once, but twice! The first time, the OIC said something like "if you make it to the top..."

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I installed a memorial wall at our church allowing for roughly 50 8x10 photographs and the background of the name sheet for the faces on our wall I used this image dialed down to about 75% opacity it really looks nice, if I find a photograph of the wall I will post it here. Our son is Navy but in service of our country nonetheless.