'76 Cat 22 Keel Winch operation

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
I have a 1976 Cat-22 that appears to have the original keel winch. The winch handle rotates clockwise easily but will not rotate counterclockwise at all. The handle just wants to unscrew. Looking inside, it has a kind of pawl that engages the teeth of one of the internal gears. This pawl looks to be spring loaded and moves up allowing the teeth to rotate clockwise but engages the teeth preventing the downward movement of the cable.

I cannot see a way to disengage this pawl to allow me to lower the keel. I am thinking to try and rotate further clockwise to see if the pawl will disengage, but the keel is all the way up and really can't go any further. I guess my next step is to put a jack under the keel to release the load on the winch and unbolt it. I need to remove it to clean and grease it anyway.

Anyone have any experience with these old-style winches? It doesn't appear to be the more modern clutch style.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mbaker267 your not going to like the answer. That looks like the wrong winch. The keel winch should be a brake winch allowing tension when the keel is lowered or raised by the handle. from the look's of things in the pictures that looks like a standard trailer winch. Likely you will have to hold the full load on the handle and lower it carefully after releasing the latch you show. Its a recipe for disaster to the boat and risks great personal injurie.

Its lime for a new winch. Fulton makes a great brake winch that I believe is the same one CD sells but if you want a direct replacement to OEM then I would contact Catalina yachts or Catalina Direct. I would also replace the cable, turning ball, and hose while your at it as they are all regular maintenance items and that winch looks a little neglected. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
I looked at the replacement winch. Almost 250 for the winch plus another 150 for the lifting kit. Cheap insurance to keep the keel from dropping. This also makes sense as on the step above where the mounting bolts go there are 3 holes, not two. One a bit further out and empty I had to fill in with butyl tape until I could epoxy it. I bet that is the original mounting hole.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mbaker267 if your going to do the extra maintenance you may also consider inspecting your keel pivot pin. If its a salt water boat corrosion can widen the hole or wear the brass pin. Just don't brake the bolts off! its a nightmare to fix them form what I have seen.

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Yes, the keel pivot is on my to-do list. One reason I started looking at the lift mechanisms. I need to take the keel off and scrape and refurbish it. Not looking forward to that task.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Yes, the keel pivot is on my to-do list. One reason I started looking at the lift mechanisms. I need to take the keel off and scrape and refurbish it. Not looking forward to that task.
I highly recommend this manual if you are going to get into the major maintenance on the bat. Lots of great articles, pictures, and people who can provide great ideas and incite for all your project needs.

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Thanks for that link. That site is a great resource. I will be joining. Bit the bullet and ordered a new winch and lift kit. I will have better piece of mind especially after I rebuild the keel. I have already replaced the keel locking bolt. Almost never got the old one out. Several days of WD-40 and putting a short length of pipe on the thing. It finally came out as a rusted blob.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have already replaced the keel locking bolt.

It’s really not that important. Most racers (who push the boats far harder than the average sailor) glass over the hole and get rid of the bolt. In a full knock down the bolt is not enough to keep the centerboard deployed if you went turtle. But that is a moot point as the boat will never be able to turtle before sinking. When the sails hit the water and the boat is on its side the most vulnerable part is the cockpit lazarette hatches. Make sure they stay closed and release the sails. The boat will come right back up. The keel hold down is of no consequence.

That all said the odds of you ever pushing the boat that hard during a day sail are slim. I have had the sails of mine in the water only once. It was racing with a 25mph gust at the windward mark (close hauled) with the 150% genoa and a full main up. We were certainly pushing the limits of the boat with a young crew on board.

I was standing on the port coaming with my feet well under water and the boat fully on its side. I simply released the sails, and the boat came right back up. After the race others congratulated us on not losing anyone and for “baptizing the boat”. If you ever interested in the full story, I wrote an article about it years ago for the Main brace.

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Wow! Glad your boat didn't sink. Fortunately, I am not a racer and this is just for fun so I will not be pushing the envelope. My "mate" will not allow me to heal over very much before she starts reacting. LOL She doesn't even like it in a motorboat if I turn too fast.