75 year old sailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arnie

I last owned a sailboat 40 yers ago. It was a trailable boat called a Picnic. (Anyone remember that one?) I'm thinking of buying a 26M or X. Probably going to keep it on the trailer at a local marina -- or mebbe a mooring or slip. (I remember getting the Picnic off the trailer - stepping the mast, etc. was not fun). Any tips for keeping your Mac in the water. (the Hudson riveris mostly fresh up here - mebbe a touch brackish.) I like the idea of a big outboard on the X or M -- if you're on the wrong end of the tide. (Yup the Hudson is called a river, but it acts more like a tidal basin). Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

J

John Dawson

Steppin' out

If its trailer-based at a marina, the mast can likely stay rigged. And Macs come off their trailers enthusiastically. Some marinas even offer launching services to do it for ya.

A

arnie

to John Dawson

thanks for the advice. which mac do you own. any ideas about an X vs. an M? thanks again.

J

John Dawson

Devil and the deep blue sea

I believe its a 1977 Venture 222, although I am unsure where the dividing line is between that and a Mac-22. (The sails say 222.) Its a masthead rig; its picture is in the owner lists here. As for an opinion on the X vs M, I confess I have no experience on either, and am not anxious to be flogged round either fleet. Like MArk, I would probably choose a 26D. But since you insist, I will hazard an opinion on the M from reading the post debates. The M seems intended to return to better sailing qualities than the power-compatible X. Personally, thats fine by me. If you do decide to leave it in the water, the present trend is to apply a waterbarrier coat under the paint to protect the hull. But you may know about those already.

P

Pat Fitzsimmons

We keep our 26x in for 6 mos

We bought our boat for the reasons you articulated, and love it. We had a 26c at the same marina and loved that too! A moderate bottoming paint and powerwash is all that is needed for our yearly Barnegat Bay Beard, and I should think that the Hudson is not much different(except maybe a few surprises from GE) We have a 40 HP Tohatsu, and we are happy with its planing capability, Good luck! Pat Fitzsimmons, Sweet Basil Mac26x,2002

D

Don

Zebras

You may want to ask about those Zebra Shell fish that encrust boats. As I remember they were already in parts of the Hudson. I am not sure if they wash off as easy as other marine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.