75-84 H27 Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Birch

Do you have a dodger on a 75-84 H27 that has mid-boom sheeting? How did you re-rig the main sheet to allow the installation? Did you install a traveller, where, how? Thanks.

T

TOM M.

Partial Hard Dodger

I have designed and built a partial hard dodger for my 1982/83 hanter 27' I bought a sheet of 3/8" thk. white starboard which is a compressed copolymer board marine grade, a 1/2 sheet of 1/8" smoked lexan both for under $200.00, I made a template to fit around the full coaming, with openings for the sheets and halyards to get into the cockpit, the lexan windows slide up and out for better ventalation, I added a 1"x 3/8"b rib along the top edge, so that i could install a 6 ft. extrusion which looks like a #9 with a open slot on the top to take a 3/8" dia. yacht braide mounted on my bimini, mounting the partial dodger was tricky, i bought 4 aluminium electrical chassis in a scrap yard, for a dollar, they had 4 1/4"-20 pressed in stainless nuts, so i cut the chassis to make nut plates, I also made angle blocks from the starboard, and screwed the nutplates & angle blocks to the coaming 12 places, To complete the job I designed and had fabricated a 2- 1" dia s/s tubing solar panel rack that attached to my stern pulpit, and 2 verticle bars t5o secure my pedestal, the rack was $300.00 the bimini $90.00 and the partial dodger with all the hardware $215,00, try to get a rag dodger for that price, if you are interested write to Tom Manalili c/o TRACY'S COVE MARINA 1740 HARBOR PLACE SOUTH PASADENA FLA> 33707, and I'll send you drawings and photos.

T

TOM M.

RELOCATION OF MAINSHEET BLOCKS

POST SCRIPT I relocated my blocks foward past the coaming and outboard just inside of horriz. grabrails.

J

Jack Laird

Moving blocks forward

OK, Tom M. I'v got the same problem with block mounting and a doger location. How did you mount the blocks. Backing block. Wood? What? Tell me more please. Winter is coming even in Fla.

T

TOM M.

RESPONSE TO JACK

Jack I used 1" thk teak both inside and out, with 4" s/s pan heads, and silicon the teak blocks were 4" dia. if you can't find teak wood, west marine or E&B sells winch blocks without the angle, they'll work as well. the angle of the mainsheets is a little extreme, but it works, You should also put a boom vang 4 to 1 purchase to eliminate weatherhelm , the partial dodger I built is cheaper and better than you can buy, if you're handy, You should try it, I'll make you a template, from paper.

J

Jack Laird

Thanks for the info

Tom M. Appreciate the quick answer. Thought that might be the way but wanted confermation. I think that I will install a soft doger so I won't have to have it up all the time. Thanks again. Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.