'74 C22 - Finally Got A Look at my Keel Lifting Connection

Dec 31, 2018
Catalina 22 Portland
Hello All,
I am new to sailing and bought a 1974 Catalina 22 last summer that seems to be in pretty good shape. Had it in the water several times but never raised the sails because I didn't want to unleash the power of the wind without knowing what I am doing. Just motored around with the keel in the down position, believing those advising me of the catastrophic risk of a cable breaking while underway with the keel in the up position. Took sailing lessons in late Fall and will be sailing on my own this Spring.
The reason for this post is that I have been wanting to inspect the cable-to-keel connection and need to know if what I am looking at is normal. Today I got out a floor jack, gathered several pieces of lumber, and carefully jacked the boat off its cradle on the trailer, placing lumber in the gaps between the boat and the cradle as they got wide enough. It only took raising it about 2" before I could see the keel connection. BTW, I loosened the keel cable 3"-4" before I started so I wouldn't have to get in the boat while it was jacked up (even though it would have been safe with the lumber "shims" in place along the cradle).
The attached pictures show what appears to me to be a stud coming out of the keel rather than the hole in the keel I was expecting to see. The shine in the pictures is water because I had just used a garden hose to spray the lake moss away. Does this keel connection look normal to you? Also, what is the round thing in the middle of the keel (Boat_3 image) with the bolt going through the center. Thank you for any comments.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
The thing in photo #3 looks to be a zinc, to protect the iron keel from corrosion. It's hard to make out from the photos, but the keel connection looks very strange. In photo #2 and #6, is the cable "U" fitting attached only on one side, to stud coming out of one side of the keel?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome! You've come to the right place for all things C22, and congrats on your "new" boat!
Agree with HH, looking at pic #5, looks like the keel is degraded to the point someone attached to the side, you see daylight on either side of the attachment, not a lot of metal left there, not a desirable nor safe fix imo (if that's what I'm seeing), here's what the attachment point should look like.....posting some better pics would be helpful...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Agree with others that it's a bit tough to see from the photos -- but "I think" you look very normal all things considered. I've added several photos for you -- my original state and once I had the keel repaired. Should give you some insight relative to where you are at. Mine was equally ugly when I pulled it:

20150824_023044000_iOS.jpg
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG
20160603_214937772_iOS.jpg
20160603_213659908_iOS.jpg
File_005.jpeg