72 22ft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2012
Catalina 22 #442 Somerset, Ma
Hey guys i have the opportunity to purchase a 72 22ft oday. According to the owner he uses it currently and just needs very minor cosmetics. It would be for very cheap money. Any issues with this year to be aware of ?

Mar 29, 2013
Oday 22 East Jordan
I have a '72 O'Day 22 that is also in good shape. Only real issue I've had is some leaking between the hull and the lead shape. Think it was caused by having some water in the bilge tht froze during outside winter (Northen Michigan Winter!!!) storage.

There is a small drip from the forward starboard window but nothing tooo major. Think I'll undo the screws and re-seal it next spring.

I believe this boat has been modified to move the sink out of the main salon and into what was once a hanging locker across from the head.

I have added roller furling, a combination red/white dome light, a detachable swim ladder to the stern, a Moor knotmeter, an AM/FM/Disc player, a bilge pump with a thru-hull high on the Port quarter. There is also a Heathkit depth sounder mounted forward und the V-Berth that is visible from the helm.

Would like to add a dodger this winter and a swing-out bracket to hold the GPS inside the cabin and visible from the helm.

They are great little boats and have truly only heard a few comments about watching the chain plates. Sounds like a few folks have have some issues with that area...

Would be curious to know what you are going to pay for the '72 you are looking at.....

Nov 28, 2012
The one im looking at is $1,000. Im also looking at a columbia 22 which is even better because it entails a trade of mechanics tool rollaway i have extra.

Mar 29, 2013
Oday 22 East Jordan
A thousand bucks is a very good deal if the boat is in decent condition. Most of these are listed for 2,500 to 4,500. I wouldn't go less than $3,500 for mine.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
With no water damage (wet core, leaky chainplates) and usable sails and standing rigging 1k is a good price. Over 3k is a bit high for anything except excellent (refurbished) condition in the current market. My guess is 1500 would be average, 2500 for good - again in the current market.

Mar 29, 2013
Oday 22 East Jordan
Do your boats have the small "galley" sink in the main cabin? Mine has been modified (I think) so the sink is now forward of the starboard bulkhead, across from the porta-potty. The boat was 30 years old when I got it, so who knows how much has been changed!

Mar 29, 2013
Oday 22 East Jordan
Thanks for the picture! Best one I have seen of this cabinetry.

Where your sink unit is, I have an aft facing bench that provides seating at a drop down dinette table. The table makes up part ot the Port side bunk in the down position like a larger boat layout.

I'd send you a photo but I just put the boat into inside witer storge yesterday afternoon.......

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Good luck Ed!
I think you're going to love that boat. You got it at a great price too, I think.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2012
ya didnt end up panning out, or the Columbia 22 i was looking at as well. Which is ok because i wasnt totally feeling the columbia. Wed im going to check out a Catalina 22. well see how that ends up..lol

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
The catalina 22 is a fine boat. The owners are a little insufferable because they know it. Hey, just kidding..

Nov 28, 2012
Lol they seem nice,my first goal was an oday. But hey ill take a nice catalina too lol

Mar 29, 2013
Oday 22 East Jordan
Hope you can find an O'Day 22........ Mine is for sale 'cause I'm getting too old, but gonna be a lot more than $1k

Nov 28, 2012
Thanks, she needs lots of elbow grease but solid. Its actually the trailer that so far needs the most work. Boats needs scrubbing, cleaning painting. odds and ends

Status
Not open for further replies.