'71 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

My swing keel appears to be stuck and will not lower. I don't have any kind of manual with this boat and I wondered if anyone knew if there was a way to inspect the cable and locking mechanism. Thanks!! Mike

R

Rich

Know your keel

The swing keel is the most problematic feature of the c-22.There are several posibilities. The most likely is that your wire is so frayed that it is catching on the ball that sits in the thru hull fitting. You must remove the the rubber hose that is clamped at the bottom of the boat where the wire passes to the winch. THE BOAT MUST BE OUT OF THE WATER FOR THIS INSPECTION. If the hose is removed in water, water will enter the boat. Once the hose is removed you will be able to see the ball. The ball is used to keep the keel wire from cutting into the hull. While out of the water, it would be a good idea to drop the keel out of the boat all together. They are known for wearing at the pivot point. I had this problem. Although unlikely, your problem may exist there. Even if it does not, you may unearth a new problem. I just refurbished my 72 swing keel last year after finding out that a friend had his fall off after sailing. Further proof? Check out the Owners forum on this site for the guy who lost his keel while sailing just last month. All keel parts as well as any cat 22 parts are available at catalinadirect.com. I recommend picking up their c-22 parts book. It is an invaluable resource. They are always willing to help. Good luck.

C

Carlos Olivencia

Watch out

Watch out! Some of the early models were designed with a pin that goes all the way through the centerboard trunk. Later models have a keel hanger which is externally supported by four stainless steel bolts. Take this in consideration to make your plan. Also, it might be posible that the fork terminal that is swaged to the cable is entangled somehow. Another problem could be that there is not a terminal but a loop Nicro pressed, so it might got stuck. What Rich said in relation to the ball is also valid. Be careful, that shunk of steel weights around 550lbs. Do not place any part of your body between the keel and the trailer, because it might get unstuck and ouchhh! It's heavy stuff! Also, do not disconnect the rubber hose in the water. Make a plan and review it! There is a lot of info and links on the C22 Class Ass. web site(www.spiritone.com/~mack/c22). Buy the Catalina Direct Catalog(www.catalinadirect.com). They have lots of info on this matter and the necesary parts to do the job. I just finished redoing my keel with the epoxy method and it requires a lot of patience and perseverance, but the results are worth. Good Sailing! Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.