70 HP Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerry

Dealer told me that I could put up to a 70 hp outboard on the 26X if I got the right brand. It seems that some mfgrs 70 hp has the exact same dimensions as the 50 and therefore the 26X can accomodate their 70. Can anyone validate this? Do you know which mfgrs?

J

Jim Bailey

70Hp For A Mac 26X?

You did't indicate if the dealer sells power boats. If he does, he's trying to line his pockets with your money. First off, the manufacturer recommends 50HP maximum. Anything over that, is not advisable. The 70HP would be heavier, and this extra weight would effect the sailing and handling. I suggest that you get in touch with the MacGregor Corporation, before going ahead with this. It could void the warranty, or do severe damage to the boat.

C

Clarke

Were to get more information

Check the following web page for more information about higher HP on a Mac. There are pros and cons to more HP, but in general it can and has been done. 60-70 is common. I have seen up to 115 with slight mods. Hope this helps.

C

CJ MARKLEY

90 horse Murcury on a 26x

I recently sailed a 26x with a 90 hp engine. It seemed to handle well under sail and was exceptional under power. Call The Anchorage at 303-823-6601 for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.