7.6 KNOTS in the '91 H355 flat water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Had a great day yesterday, took a new boater out and let him helm for a while. When the wind picked up, we charged back home at 7.1 to 7.6 knots, right until I broached it, haha. The new boater had a big smile after that.

Does that seem like the top end, on flat water, with your 34 to 36 Hunter ?
Is that enough hull speed to race other 34-36's when it blows ?

Speed Variables;
broad reach, flat water, 3 blade prop , shoal draft, new bottom, with the full UK main and the assymmetrical flying, SOG recorded, against outgoing tide [at 2 hrs before a low tide], so no speed help there.
Thanks for your reply

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You're going to have to muster up more than just speed to win races. Start line timing, crew drills at changing/trimming sails, getting past other boats as they block the wind...... lots of stuff to put together.
But racing is fun and that is really the point, wining is just a nice reward.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Paul

7.1 is the hull speed for my boat. It's just how fast you can get up to that speed that will win races!! There's alot more to racing than speed

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Agreed with all on the learning curve, especially after so many years ago since I raced. The thrill is there again.
The boat was also empty of tankage weight and it hit 6 knots reaching. I know I have to work on that. I was experimenting with turning radii on tacks, boom positions, and mainsail depowering with gusts too.
The new sailor I took held a course very well for 1st time, while I practised light air sail tune. When it I saw a mean gust and the wind pick up on our assymmetric broad reach, I took the helm. Wind picked up quickly to 25 kn gusts and we quickly hit our speed runs on the gusts. The little assym held it till the broach spilled it. It was a slow, mild broach and the rudder disengaged with the water in a predicable manner, then righted itself before the main kissed the water.

Jan 22, 1999
Hunter 35 PENSACOLA, FL
What is a 1991 H355 ?

Stretch,

Is this a new boat that was in development in 1991 by Hunter with a 3 blade fixed prop??

If one goes to the Hunter Boat Info page there is no H355 listed.

Are you sure your boat is not a 1991 H35.5 sail boat ??

Where did this H355 name plate originate ??

Broad Reach

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Theoretical hull speed is just that, theoretical. Reaching along in a good breeze with a chute up should easily get you past that. Your 3 blade prop is costing at least 3/4 of a knot. I've done broad reaching under a chute in double digits and surfing off waves at 15 knots. Big smiles for that :D:D.....slowing to 8, 9, 10 knots is a bummer after 15 but the next wave through jacks us right back up again.
You may want to work on how to handle and even prevent a broach. Broaching is REAL slow, keeping the boat up on her feet and flying is much more cool!
The learning curve is steep and can be loads of fun. Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Enjoy.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Hi my old computer died, sorry for a late reply.
The Hunter is indeed the 35.5 of 1991 vintage, with original full batten main.I was not able to edit the post title only the message body.

The broach was my choosing, I wanted to have one under my belt in this boat. I didn't want the young guy trying to ease off a fully loaded winch and wanted to get that flatwater top speed for later comparisons. It was gentle until the chute emptied and shook like a dog. I appreaciated the spinaker sock in that gust. I just got back from a week cruising and we had a beautiful chute run for 6 hrs plus, from Nanaimo to Secret Cove, BC and I am very happy with the assymetric. The large mainsail even at first reef was too much wind shadow for the spinaker when we tried to sail more downwind through Welcome Passage, and it was informative to find the outer limit of this sail. I found bringing in the main improved chute performance slightly.

Yes there is much to learn just to know the hull and the rig of this 35.5. The light air performance is admirable. I would love to surf it on some decent waves, that would bring out the ww kayaker in me !

Very true about the prop but with that much sail power the difference must be smaller than 3/4 knot, would you say, Alan ?

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
We managed to get up to 8.5 knots in the S.O.A.R. race this summer, with no slowing down below 8 knots on that last leg, winds to 30 knots. She was just rockin that day, with speeds 6.5 knots reaching. However, the Olson 30's were planing at 16 knots that day....one sailed right into the marina !

I need to order Kryptonite stays, folding prop, new main and a monster headsail to come closer to Alan's performance level. After 40 sailing days this year I know this boat much better.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The Olson is a ULDB (Ultra Light Displacement Boat) and you have no chance of sailing level with her. Try a Melges 24 or Viper 640 and you will crush the Olson. These boats will surf at speeds over 20 knots (water-ski anyone?) ....anyhow you are learning the fast buttons on your boat and that is what matters. Once you move up to the next level you will be much more confident against faster boats. I have corrected out against Olson 30 and similar boats many times but it took a good bit of practice and persistence to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.