7.3 Shoal Draft

Dec 4, 2012
Sabre 386 Long Island
Anyone have firsthand experience on the shoal draft version of the 7.3? Was looking for the 4' version but cam across a shoal in my area. On a similar note, how well does either version point? Lets keep it fair and use a Catalina 25 as a reference.

Thanks

John

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I've crewed on my friend's S2 7.3 a couple of times. The S2 7.3 is slightly faster than the Catalina 25 and points a bit higher too. Not a big difference but noticeable when sailing in close proximity on the same tack. Could be sail condition, trim or skipper that's making the difference. When they race against each other the S2 always wins. Their PHRF ratings are pretty similar with the S2 having the lower rating.
A friend of mine has a S2 7.3 with the 4 foot draft for sale. The boat is located on Long Island, New York. Are you located on the same Long Island? If you have interest, I'll put you in touch with him. Send me your contact information. He's not a SBO member.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Pearson 28-2 washington nc
I've had my 7.3 SD since 1986 and have raced a good bit on a friend's Cat 25 standard keel. The Cat will outpoint my boat but mine is faster on any point but close-hauled. The 7.3 is a fine little boat. I'm about to buy a 9.2A SD.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
My regular keel (4') 7.3 points much higher than a Catalina 25 in my harbor, this might have a lot to do with a few things:
1. sail condition - my sails are pretty good and his are a bit blown out.
2. Experience - I've been sailing for 20+ years and he only has a few years under his belt, but he does race so he has gotten some good lessonsfrom that.
3. boat set up-I've got new halyards, sheets, set up to single hand, hank on sails, inboard jib tracks etc. His halyards and sheets are rough and he only has a 130 on a furler and outboard tracks.

ETA: I know this is a 2yr old post we are replying to, but I'm hoping maybe we can get more 7.3 owners to participate on this forum.