7.3 Bulkhead Table Redo

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
The OEM folding bulkhead table was a bit tired and needed some help...
DSC01103.JPG
...and I just happened to see an article in Good Old Boat about a guy who made some shelves to go behind his table. So, I thought I'd give it a try, even though I'm not a master woodworker by any stretch.
I bought a 4' x 5' piece of 1/2 inch birch ply. Here's the raw pieces coming together...
DSC01072.JPG
I decided to make the table pieces a bit wider than original, but a bit shorter to compensate for the added depth of the shelves. I was able to use the original legs and piano hinge, although the hinge had to be cut a bit shorter.

I used a teak stain and varnish. Here it is laying on the floor at the house...
DSC01097.JPG

Two table halves opened...
DSC01095.JPG

Bottom of table pieces...
DSC01099.JPG

Wood gizmo to hold table instead of the stock metal rod...
DSC01098.JPG

And top behind the folded up table leaves...
DSC01102.JPG

Can't wait to screw it to the bulkhead and give my coffee cup it's rightful place of honor on the boat!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The OEM folding bulkhead table was a bit tired and needed some help...
View attachment 73980
...and I just happened to see an article in Good Old Boat about a guy who made some shelves to go behind his table. So, I thought I'd give it a try, even though I'm not a master woodworker by any stretch.
I bought a 4' x 5' piece of 1/2 inch birch ply. Here's the raw pieces coming together...
View attachment 73981
I decided to make the table pieces a bit wider than original, but a bit shorter to compensate for the added depth of the shelves. I was able to use the original legs and piano hinge, although the hinge had to be cut a bit shorter.

I used a teak stain and varnish. Here it is laying on the floor at the house...
View attachment 73982

Two table halves opened...
View attachment 73983

Bottom of table pieces...
View attachment 73984

Wood gizmo to hold table instead of the stock metal rod...
View attachment 73985

And top behind the folded up table leaves...
View attachment 73990

Can't wait to screw it to the bulkhead and give my coffee cup it's rightful place of honor on the boat!
well you do nice work there ...table looks good .....but you are drinking entirely too much coffee from the looks of it ;)

regards

woody

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Woodie... no kidding, I'm completely rela#@%****xed!?!

Phil... Web photos have a way of hiding all the mistakes!

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Got the table installed on the boat this weekend. Can't wait to try it out!
DSC01157.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

Stan

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Very nice! you wouldnt have plans would you? I have to build one from scratch and dont have the old one to copy from.

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
No plans, but I do have some dimensions.... the hinge pin for the table folding down was at 24.5" off the floor. The width of the whole cabinet was 13.5" and was slightly narrower than the space between the seat and the center trim on the bulkhead. I think the stock table halves were 31.75" in length, but mine are wider and a bit shorter to compensate for the thickness of the added shelves. My shelves are 3.5" deep (to accommodate my favorite coffee mug!). With the table down, and stove pulled out, there is still room to get around. You can't mount the piano hinge directly on the table leaves, as there is no room for the fold-down legs. So set the hinge off a bit to make room with a couple wood strips. I used birch plywood that I bought at one of our local "woodworkers" shops, not HD or L, as it uses waterproof glue and very few voids that show when you cut it. I got a 4' x 5' piece of 1/2" thick ply that was more than enough for this and a couple small projects. Actually, the stain, screws, hinges and varnish cost more than the wood! Hope you have fun and share some pics of the project!

Attachments

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Thanks for info and taking the time. I will archive for when that day comes. I'm a ways off yet though. I have some structural work to do but very much looking forward to rebuilding the cabin interior (And not cutting and laying up fiberglass which is this weekend).
regards,
John

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
Thanks for info and taking the time. I will archive for when that day comes. I'm a ways off yet though. I have some structural work to do but very much looking forward to rebuilding the cabin interior (And not cutting and laying up fiberglass which is this weekend). regards, John
John, hey! I built a cabinet like this behind an enlarged new table in my 28 foot S2 and would offer some more tips. All depending on what equipment you have.... Give your table corners a radius of around 2". This makes moving around it so much easier than square corners. If you can use 3/4 marine (teak?) plywood, not only will it match and enhance your interior, but the added thickness will really result in a table that doesn't flex under your elbows when in use. Use "iron-on" teak tape to dress the edges for a remarkably finished look. If you are good with a router, you can cut 1/2" deep recesses for 1/2" thick legs, thus ending up with a folded table no thicker than your two leafs of plywood. This saves having the folded table hanging any further into your main cabin than it has to. Inches do matter! I made my legs out of aluminum and they tuck in nicely. For added rigidity, use a fairly heavy piece of teak as the "shelf" in your cabinet that secures the folding table, and through bolt this to the bulkhead, then use big hinges (not a piano hinge!!) to mount the table. Anything less will be torn loose in everyday use. Believe me! Plan, measure, and buy dedicated cups and dishes in advance and space your shelves accordingly, your stuff won't otherwise fit. 3" deep ought to be plenty, and still allow for a stack of 8 dishes, and nice sized coffee cups too!

Mar 9, 2015
S2 7.3 Muskegon, MI
Thanks for this! I'm going to build one of these for my 7.3 before I splash her this spring. How did you attach this to the bulkhead?

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Thanks for this! I'm going to build one of these for my 7.3 before I splash her this spring. How did you attach this to the bulkhead?
Just some brass wood screws. Post some pics when you build it!