6000 lb tow vehicle

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I might consider an inadequate tow vehicle for a short, less than 10 mile run on flat roads but not for 1000+ mile trips. If the trailer weighs more than the vehicle, the trailer will be in control if things go awry. I saw a video of an SUV towing a not particularly large trailer - the trailer blew out a tire, started skidding around sideways and ended up flipping the SUV. I've towed lots of boats on trailers (including a 36 foot catamaran) and it is a MUCH more relaxing ride when the tow vehicle is over-built for the situation.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Another thought on tow vehicles. I always had pickups. The last tow vehicle we bought (used) was a 2007 Ford Expedition (5.4 l). Great tow vehicle. I got it because used trucks were ridiculously priced in my area (diesel trucks even more so). SUV's, like the expedition, not as much. It can tow 9200 lbs, and my 6000 lbs boat doesn't tax it any. Extremely reliable and relatively cheap on maintenance for a 4wd truck. You can haul a lot of stuff inside enclosed from the elements. It also makes a great passenger hauler, when you need it. The only time I miss my pickups is for dump hauling. For that, I just rent a u-haul trailer when I need it and tow it with the Expedition.

On the highway, without towing, I can get 19 mpg with it. Local driving on hilly terrain, 14-15. Towing our Seaward 25, 11-13 mpg. My thought was that you can buy a lot of gas for the difference you would pay for a more efficient vehicle for towing or a diesel.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For twice a year consider renting a V-8 pick-up truck. A V-8 will give better gas mileage under load than a V-6.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Thanks! Could you ballpark how much maintenance you'd expect to spend in 10 years if you got it at 150k and drove it to 250k?
Eff. I had a BMW maintenance costs for a 5 yr old 75,000 mile car was $1000 a month. And I was doing all labor myself. The parts are expensive in US. even the aftermarket parts.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We would tow our C22 from a storage lot to a launch site using a uhaul truck. Cost was $36 bucks.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I know someone that towed their O'Day 25 on a heavy duty trailer (estimating 6000-7000lbs total weight) with an F250 from enterprise. They claimed they were getting 28mpg. Cost is typically $79 + $20 towing fee per day

As far as maintenance goes I've bought a warranty for all my vehicles in the past 10 years. They shelled out over $20k on one truck. I buy 'em cheap and let the warranty take care of it!

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I don't tow a boat, but I tow my 26 foot travel trailer several thousand miles annually.

Because I hang out on trailer forums a lot, I know that the biggest mistake people make when picking a tow vehicle is using the manufacturer's published towing figures as their primary data. Far more important is the PAYLOAD capacity of the tow vehicle. It's available, and likely printed on the vehicle.

With a travel trailer, the rule of thumb is to take the fully loaded weight of the trailer, and multiply by 12 or 13 percent to get the tongue weight. Subtract the tongue weight from your truck's payload. Also subtract the stuff you carry in the vehicle....people, topper, etc..

When doing the math, you'll almost always run out of payload before you reach the towing capacity.

As an aside, the electric brakes on the trailer should be in good working order.

I use a 2018, Ford F-150 with the eco boost 3.5, 10 speed transmission, and 3.55 differential. Power and payload are appropriate for my loaded trailer.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I know someone that towed their O'Day 25 on a heavy duty trailer (estimating 6000-7000lbs total weight) with an F250 from enterprise. They claimed they were getting 28mpg. Cost is typically $79 + $20 towing fee per day

As far as maintenance goes I've bought a warranty for all my vehicles in the past 10 years. They shelled out over $20k on one truck. I buy 'em cheap and let the warranty take care of it!
28 mpg pulling 6 to 7k pounds with an F250. No. Not even close. Figure more like 10 to 11.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
When doing the math, you'll almost always run out of payload before you reach the towing capacity.
That's not been my experience. For instance now I have a Subaru forester with 1000 lb payload. With our family and gear we're at 600 lbs which leaves 400 lbs for a trailer hitch. For a 2000 lb trailer (towing capacity) at 260 lb tongue weight we'd have an extra 140 lbs of payload left over.

With two more passengers I think you'd be right but that would be a tight fit in the vehicle.

With a Toyota Highlander at 1800 lbs payload, my family and gear (600 lbs), and a 5000 lb trailer (tongue weight of 650 lbs) brings the payload up to 1250, which leaves 550 lbs leftover.

Where are you seeing payload being limiting?

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
How did I miss the Dodge Durango? Starting in 2014 they get 20+ mpg combined. For the few years earlier they got 19. And... 6200 lbs towing capacity with the V6. This might be the winner except for its below-average reliability.

If I can convince myself to wait a few years, I'll likely be interested in the 2016 Chevy Colorado Diesel. We'll see if I can wait :)