5hp outboard on a Mac 25

Jun 27, 2012
Macgregor M25 Palm Coast
Anyone have a experience with a 5hp outboard on a Mac 25? My 9.9 died today and I'm interested in the Lehr 5hp long shaft propane (5hp due to heavy weight of a 9.9). I have the Lehr 2.5 for my dinghy and love it. thinking of selling my 2.5 and running the 5hp on the Mac and the dinghy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I sail mainly in fresh water lakes and occasionally intercoastal then out of St Augustine inlet. I always thought the 9.9 was too much for this boat but have no experience with smaller motors.

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
I ran a 5hp Tohatsu on my 22 and was satisfied with the performance. Can you get a high thrust prop for that motor?

Feb 27, 2013
Macgregor 25 Cd. Del Carmen
My 5 hp Nissan delivers PLENTY of power. As a matter of fact, I am thinking about trying an electric trolling motor I have.

Jun 27, 2012
Macgregor M25 Palm Coast
Thanks for the info everyone. Not sure if I can get a high thrust prop for this or not. Hoping Lehr uses a brand outboard lower unit. Probably something to think about just in case.

Oct 6, 2011
MacGregor 17.5 New Smyrna Beach
Greetings lipscum - a little off-topic, but I am a rookie 17.5 MacGregor owner down here in NSB and was curious about your ICW experience in Palm Bay area. Our section is very narrow and my lack of experience has me a bit "anxious" about the idea of trying to tack and jibe my way upwind (the downwind part not so scary, naturally). The 4hp 2nd hand outboard I counted on ceased to say in forward, but was fine power-wise at least while it worked!
Would appreciate any "local" info you could pass on??? I'm located just a few minutes from Ponce Inlet. Of course we locals refer to it as New Smyrna Inlet!!!!)
thanks

Jun 27, 2012
Macgregor M25 Palm Coast
Hello CurtCarver1. Sorry, I have no experience that far down. Been out of Ponce Inlet about 10 years ago but put in just to the north and out of the inlet. A lot of the areas along the ICW are narrow and difficult to sail unless you have the right conditions and even then changes in wind direction and channel add to the challenge. Guess that's why they call it "The Ditch". Happy sailing.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I think a lot has to do with the kind of waters you use your boat in. For lakes and fairly calm inland waters a 5hp would be plenty. However I was forced to use my 4hp off my dinghy one weekend when my 7.5 went down and it was miserable. I could get the boat moving out on the water, but it had absolutely no guts in reverse to get the thing stopped and trying to maneuver around the docks with a crosswind and a little wave action was an absolute nightmare. Next time the big motor dies the boat is going back on the trailer instead of dealing with that again.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I wouldn't use anything less than a 9.9 long shaft with sea prop. I have used all the power more than once and am glad to have had it. The sea prop gives you the reverse power you need. Forward propulsion is compromised somewhat due to the shape of the prop but worth the sacrifice to have nuts in reverse.

I do sail predominantly on the ocean- in and out of harbors and rivers where chop and currents can call on everything you have.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I would think gas is easier to manage than propane as well.

Jan 26, 2013
MacGregor 25 Chatfield Lake, Denver, CO
I have a 1974 Evinrude 6Hp 2-stroke long shaft on my Mac 25. It gets me in and out of the marina just fine. At that age it may have lost some power. On the occasions when I have 4 passengers, a strong headwind, a lot of chop, or a fast approaching squall I wish I had a little more power. Otherwise I think 5 or 6 HP is fine, as long as the outboard is reliable. No experience with propane outboards.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I think I would be very happy with a 5hp on a lake. I used an electric trolling motor 55lb thrust when I first purchased my boat and it was enough to get me in and out even against 15mph wind.
I would be ok on the ocean if I was really careful but I would not be comfortable.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
6hp is adequate on Chesapeake. I sailed it in 3-foot waves and 25 kts head wind in no problem (but I did not break any speed records either).

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Have you check the shift linkage?
Sometimes something comes loose and a little adjustment and your back in business.

Greetings lipscum - a little off-topic, but I am a rookie 17.5 MacGregor owner down here in NSB and was curious about your ICW experience in Palm Bay area. Our section is very narrow and my lack of experience has me a bit "anxious" about the idea of trying to tack and jibe my way upwind (the downwind part not so scary, naturally). The 4hp 2nd hand outboard I counted on ceased to say in forward, but was fine power-wise at least while it worked!
Would appreciate any "local" info you could pass on??? I'm located just a few minutes from Ponce Inlet. Of course we locals refer to it as New Smyrna Inlet!!!!)
thanks