5230 Alternative?

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
A rudder bushing replacement calls for 5230 polyurethane glue, or PMS 60 polyurethane glue. I’ve not had luck finding either of these and assume they’re no longer made (circa 1995 to 2008).

For a rudder bushing replacement, what’s a good alternative?

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
PMS 60 is still made, but that is only a guess because you gave us numbers but no manufacturer.

But I suspect Sika 291 would do just fine. If the bushing is polyethylene or other low energy plastic you will want to flame it first for better adhesion.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
I did not realize PMS 60 is a trade name and not synonymous with a manufacturer (i.e. 5200).

I noted someone else mentioned using Sika 291, so I will go with that. Was just hoping to use manufacturer recommended if it was still produced.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Was just hoping to use manufacturer recommended if it was still produced.
Many products manufactured 10 plus years ago, used here in the US or in Europe are no longer produced. They have been EPA discarded/modified/upgraded or superseded by new options.
Not all products will adhere to the HDPE products used in some sailboats. Better to see a product that meets current standards and works with the materials of your boat than to go searching for a from the build year of a boat. If the product is as good as it was in them olden days, then it will be readily available.