50 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle jumper

I am looking to purchase my first sailboat. I want a Macgregor, and I want it to be a used 26 footer that can accomodate a 50 HP motor. My question is this: In what year did this first become possible? Some that I have asked about are maxed out with a 10 HP. Thanks. Also, if there are any leads for such a boat in Western Canada, please forward the info. Thanks. Andre carol-andre@shaw.ca

K

Kevin

26x

Andre: You are looking for a 26x. They began construction in 1996 model year. I have heard some say 1995 but I haven't seen any 95's. Try the classifieds here, www.macgregor26x.com and www.traderonline to begin your search. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance. K

D

dan

Go four stroke !

Have Honda 50 HP on a 98' 26X.....works great! Don't forget the HP LOSS when you head up in to the mountains (3% / 1000'el) Two strokes are BANNED on lake tahoe, ca Here is another site with bunches of Macs www.sailboatowners .com good luck.....dan

M

Morris Rooms

re: 50hp

I believe the MacGregor 19 also would take a 50hp and was the precurser to the 26X. try havencraft.com for a full history of the Mac series.

J

jim w

50 hp on mac

Dear Carol - Andre, The 26x from Mac is different from the 26s, in that it has a planing hull, rather than a displacement hull. In other words, it is like a motor boat in that it can get up on the water and plane. That is why it can make use of 50 hp motors. Displacement hulls have a theoretical speed limit for a given length such that putting on more power does not do muchy good. All of the 26x will accomadate, and make good use of the factory recomended 50 hp motors. Actually people have successfully put larger motors 60,70,90 hp on the 26x. Jim w jimw@aldec.com

Status
Not open for further replies.