473 prop shaft zinc

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
I have a Beneteau 473 that am considering adding a zinc anode to the prop shaft for additional protection. Can anyone advise me on the pro & cons of adding an additional zinc? I am not racing so the increased drag is not really an issue.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You should definitely add a shaft zinc. There is a special narrow zinc for the Beneteau which fits the close clearance between prop and shaft support. Keep the zinc clear of your cutlass bearing, it requires water intake. Polish the shaft and the back of your prop and snug it against the prop for extra protection of the prop.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Full Circle, The Zinc is an absolute requirement in our Pacific NW waters. You need to check it at the least every 6 months. I am on a 4 month cycle with my diver to check hull and we replace about every 8 months. Never let the zinc get to worn out or gone. If the zinc is not there it will not be long before your prop and perhaps your shaft will be Swiss cheese.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Yes of course the zincs are necessary! What I was asking is adding additional zincs to the prop shaft that are over and above the oem zincs. If there was some formula for the amount of zinc anode or if it is ok to just add additional zinc. Sounds like my diver will add the additional zinc because it can't hurt.

natep

Sep 3, 2018
Beneteau 411 Limited Chesapeake Beach MD
Where can I order the hull zinc for my 2002 Beneteau 411 and what size do I order?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Yes of course the zincs are necessary! What I was asking is adding additional zincs to the prop shaft that are over and above the oem zincs. If there was some formula for the amount of zinc anode or if it is ok to just add additional zinc. Sounds like my diver will add the additional zinc because it can't hurt.
Additional zincs will not fit..... no additional room for more than 1 on shaft and one on prop..... at least that’s the way it is on the 423.

Greg

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Thank you NY Sail. You are correct. I pulled the boat out of the water for an annual inspection. There is no room for any additional zinc. I will continue to just use and replace the zinc on the prop.
upload_2019-5-9_22-36-27.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
Do all Beneteau 473’s have a rope cutter between their cutlass bearing and the prop?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
That must be a pricey sink,I have 3 blade Flex o Fold and it has a zincs on the face with one bolt and they were $25/each but found them for $15 and got 10.
I also have a shaft zinc on my Hunter H-36

Oct 22, 2014
So @Full Circle 473 have you found the line cutter useful during the pot season? There are days when I feel I am threading a slalom course in the channel trying to get out of Everett, or north through Saratoga Passage.

Drove home one night from Langley. We were searching in the dark for the elusive crab pot buoy. They seemed to pop up everywhere. Then a 40 foot power cruiser came steaming up behind. Straight lineing it towards the outer buoy for the river. Rode over his wake and followed him in. No more crab pot issues. Suspected either he was oblivious or he had line cutters on his twin props. There were no more pots in the channel.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
As far as I know, I haven’t had the “opportunity “ to engage the line cutter. I completely agree, leaving or coming back to Everett is an obstacle course. As is Port Ludlow! People will put the traps just about anywhere.