45DS mainsail furling

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Hello all -- Searched for related threads but found none (?!). Please cross-post if you have resources.

We have a 2009 Hunter 45DS with in-mast furling. The furling unit on the mast has two settings: free and ratchet (locked). In the free setting, the sail can be unfurled as the circular line running to the cockpit is not engaged. In ratchet (locked), we can furl (retract) the main via the circular ropes that come through cam cleats on the port side of the cabin top inside the cockpit.

In essence, to unfurl we have to let the sail run free with the crew moving the unit on the mast from locked to free and when we want to furl we have to move from free to locked. This is fine in light conditions but dangerous if conditions are bad particularly since we have to have crew quite-literally at the most to move the unit from free to locked when we get to a pre-determined reef point otherwise the entire main can unfurl with no control.

Does this sound right to anyone/everyone? Is there a work-around? The 45DS owners manual doesn't address this.

Thank you!

Sean & Lori
s/v Halayah Rhea (Seattle)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Does this sound right to anyone/everyone?
Sounds wrong to me.

Our Selden in mast furling always runs free. Under all conditions, particularly when reefing, the circular furling line is held in position by two rope clutches, one on each side of the loop:

1657306618828.png

The line is pulled tight in the clutch and holds it in position for all wind forces.

If you don't have the rope clutch, you're not set up for in mast furling.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
seanmadian........what we do is after the mainsail is unfurled have someone go to the mast and move it to the rachet position. We do not wait until we want to reef to do that. The racket position mitigates the risk of the mainsail unfurling in high winds when you are trying to reef OR furling the sail in, espeacially in high wind.

Having said that, you can keep is the free position and furl it in.

Always move the mast winch to the rachet position and tension and cleat off (in the clutch) the outhaul and furling lines after the boat is docked and before you leave the boat to mitigate the risk of the mainsail inadvertently unfurling in high wind conditions when you are not there.

Last edited:

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
I agree on using that ratchet. It is a huge safety feature if you are partially reefed in heavy weather.

I recall somebody posting (can't remember if it was here) some pics of how they rigged up a little line led aft that pulled the knob back and moved it to the 'free' position, then a tug and releasing the line - a bungie small bungie cord would put it back to 'locked', or maybe it was the other way around. One of those low priority boat projects for me though.

In light air - yeah, its safer going forward but that is also not when you truly need that ratchet engaged anyway.

I always lock it no matter what wind conditions. If we need to reef, we know the sail is going in and not going back out. Usually in those kinds of conditions there is enough pressure on the sail so there is very little chance of getting a fold when rolling it up, which would be the only case (except when shaking a reef) one might need to set it to 'free' again?

I actually wish my jib furler had the same feature. I have seen a couple furling lines get chafe from bad fair leading and sustained use in bad weather at particular reef points. Again exactly the kind of time when you do not want the whole sail rolling out!

Jan 4, 2006
I guess it's just a weakness with me, but I've always assumed that the manufacturer probably knows a little more about the product he has designed and manufactured rather than the unusual routines which some people invent which often present hazards in rough sloppy weather.

The rope clutches (cam cleats or whatever) hold the continuous reefing line in the reefing winch without fail when snugged up. The two facing surfaces of the winch are designed to hold the line.

There is no way anyone goes up on deck on our boat when we've got reefed sails out in a howler on Georgia Straight.

1657334852111.png

1657335066280.png

I'll stick with their instructions which have served us very well for 24 years in all kinds of blows.

Attachments

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Fair enough.
I still believe that the ratchet/lock mode is a feature and not a bug.
It probably varies, like many things on an 80/20, or more probably a 95/5 use case about how we use our boats.

I do a lot of single handed and short handed (2) sailing. I would never want to leave myself or anybody else on deck in the middle of bad weather with a worry that the mainsail might 'entirely roll out' by accident when they are trying to reef for an upcoming squall.

For casual day sailing I am not quite as religious about locking the 'ratchet'. Except I still always do at least at the beginning of the day and train my crew to always do it. With a full crewed boat, just goofing around for an afternoon or a week in protected waters it isn't really a big deal. Meanwhile - just like not losing your fingers in winches or spinnakers halyards, there are reasons we do these things?

#1. Depending on crew knowledge, especially with 'pick up' crew, they may or may not know to keep tension on both sides of the endless line to maintain control of the fuller.
#2. Weather conditions change and boats bump around. A little slop there and the mast-side drum can come free, even if well maintained.
#3. Maintenance is an issue since Selden went with a plastic solution that seems to wear faster than the line itself for the little 'edges' on the drum. My hunch is that they figured that anybody that hadn't service drum replacement hadn't service the entire rig at all?
#4. Human error. We are all just human. There is a reason we have processes for extra safety procedures to double check that. I treat 'releasing the ratchet' as good point for discussion with the crew about conditions, what we are doing, where we are going, etc. (See cockpit resource management).
#5. When not just doing inland cruising - waters, weather, everything else can become unpredictable even with modern weather prediction. Add in the mixture of lines that are totally salt-soaked and extremely slippery - other use cases above become more common. As we all know, most accidents at sea start with a small chain of cascading events.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
I do a lot of single handed and short handed (2) sailing. I would never want to leave myself or anybody else on deck in the middle of bad weather with a worry that the mainsail might 'entirely roll out' by accident when they are trying to reef for an upcoming squall.
I don't do a lot of single handing, but when the going gets tough and it's just me and miles of ocean, I am so happy when I can do everything from the cockpit. In particular, reefing both in and out.

Add in the mixture of lines that are totally salt-soaked and extremely slippery
Got to wonder what you use for lines (or if their covered in green moss) if yours become slippery when wet. Wet polyester grabs on to anything and jams into the reefing winch.

Do yourself a favour and examine your inmast furling a little closer and see why it's designed the way it is. The ratchet is ONLY for reefing by a crewmwmber at the mast. The reefing winch is for control from the cockpit.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Thank you one and all for the informative comments, hints, tricks, and documentation.

We are going to experiment a bit as you've all shared some things that we had not tried including keeping good tension on the continuous loop via a winch and the cam cleat so that we can furl/unfurl with complete control from the cockpit. The Puget Sound is pretty forgiving but we have made it a habit to develop habits that anticipate the worst. Honestly, unless it is a light day with no hint of squalls we tend to avoid the deck just to be prudent.

The point(s) about safety are well-taken and appreciated. Also, I agree with the overall sentiment that the designers probably had something specific in mind. I've wondered if we furled the main in the wrong direction (e.g., counterclockwise v clockwise) but reversing this only seems to make the situation worse.

As I said, we will do some experimentation and if we discover anything novel, will come back to this thread to share. Thank you!!!!!

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
FWIW I also make sure the ratchet is engaged when I leave the boat.

Point was made for me when a neighboring boat had its main start to deploy in a strong blow a few months ago and no one was aboard.

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
I have not been able to keep the mainsail from slowly unfurling when there is a lot of pressure on the sail without setting the ratchet.
For this reason, I usually do "go forward and set the ratchet before its time to reef".
But this doesn't help when you are trying to raise the sails to a reefed position when its already a bit windy.
I have not found an answer for this, other than to go forward in rough conditions (clipped in) before you do the final tensioning with the outhaul.

I try to, and I think I do, keep good tension on the "in" side of the line when unfurling. I always unfurl by hand.
After I lock down both in and out, I tension the outhaul. This is what usually causes the sail to unfurl more.
It usually happens slowly
I've put marks on the sail so I can easily see it from the cockpit.
I have had it happen several times in sequence - tighten the outhaul, sail unfurls a bit, tighten the outhaul, sail unfurls a bit, ...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
buddyO.. ....you are doing everything right. However, I would look to replace your furlin / out line so I grips securely in the clutch assuming your clutch teeth are not worn.

Once you pull the sail out to the amount of sail you want in a reefed posture, set the mast winch to ratchet. Once the wind dies down and you want raise it set the winch to free to raise the sail the to ratchet. Now you are re That is what I do.

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
Thanks for the reply sail sfbay. Just one note, the rope clutches on the cabin top do not slip.
I am guessing that it slipping at the drum at the mast, but have not seen it so can't confirm.
Replacing the furling line might help.
Right now I am mainly wondering if this is common/expected and the ratchet is the solution or if I should be looking deeper.

Jan 4, 2006
After I lock down both in and out, I tension the outhaul.
Has anyone else had this problem?
You've got me. I know that the rachet on ours is always OFF in our in-mast Selden furling and does not let go. Does your continuous furling line sit snugly in the furling winch i.e. is it the correct diameter ? If too small in diameter, it will slip.

1657569121273.png

If it's old, moss covered, and badly worn, it will slowly let go. Make sure it's in decent condition. The reefing winch is DESIGNED to hold the reefing line and not let go. There's got to be a reason why yours is slipping.

Last edited:

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
Hi Ralph. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is something that could, and should, be fixed. Glad I asked.

I'll look carefully at the drum and the line and also verify that it is the correct diameter.
The line seems pretty good to me, but it is probably original - 17 years old. I'll take a close look at the part of the line at the drum when the sail is reefed also - there may be a localized area causing a problem.

I am not at the boat, but will follow up when I have more info.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Hi Ralph. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is something that could, and should, be fixed. Glad I asked.

I'll look carefully at the drum and the line and also verify that it is the correct diameter.
The line seems pretty good to me, but it is probably original - 17 years old. I'll take a close look at the part of the line at the drum when the sail is reefed also - there may be a localized area causing a problem.

I am not at the boat, but will follow up when I have more info.
FWIW When I purchased my boat last year it had all original running rigging. I thought I'd be able to sail it a little bit while my new rigging was being put together.

Furling line parted with sail half out in 20+kts right in the Fort Pierce inlet washing machine

Fun times.

Its easy to splice a continuous line and line is cheap by the foot.

Jan 4, 2006
I'll take a close look at the part of the line at the drum when the sail is reefed also - there may be a localized area causing a problem.
Close off the rope or cam or whatever kind of cleats or clutches hold the reefing line secure and then see how difficult it is to turn the reefing winch with a winch handle.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
All - As promised, looping back after some experimentation. Although we did not test this in high winds (15+ kts), we have learned that we can control the main unfurling via tension on the circular furling line. This saves us having someone on-deck with their hand on the clutch knob on the furler which is great.

In short, we released one of the two clutches (in our setup, the one to port) and put three wraps of the furling line around the adjacent winch. With the line loose, we were able to unfurl the main via the outhaul (per normal) and then by placing tension on the furling line, effectively tightening the line around the furling drum on the mast, we were able to stop the main from unfurling. We thought that this could only be done w/the clutch in the left "locked" position but the experiment suggests we can accomplish the same thing via line tension.

The only caveat is that we have NOT tried this in comparatively higher winds. That said, it's unlikely we would be unfurling the main in higher winds anyway so it's probably not a big deal. So here is our tentative SOP going forward:

* Lock the circular furling line on the left cam cleat
* Release the circular furling line right (starboard) cam cleat (the one that furls the main)
* Place three wraps of the right circular furling line around the adjacent winch but do not tension the line
* Unfurl the main using the outhaul to the desired position
* Tension the circular furling line on the right via the winch when the main reaches the desired position thereby preventing further deployment of the main
* When safe, send the crew forward to move the pin from open/free to closed/locked on the furling hardware on the mast (presuming we are not likely to unfurl further).

In this setup, the main can be furled at any time and cannot unfurl further as the clutch is locked. Hope this is helpful to everyone. THANK YOU for all of the replies (and a few laughs) in the thread.

Sean & Lori
s/v/ Halayah Rhea

Jan 4, 2006
I saw your post yesterday morning just before heading out to the boat. Figured it was about time I understood how and why my reefing winch was able to grip the furling line so tightly when others seemed to have problems with slippage.

This is the arrangement of the furling line in the cockpit:

1657860456033.png

The two red lines have been gripped together, tugged by hand and then both rope clutches slammed shut.

This is the arrangement at the mast:

1657860514317.png

The winch is unlocked and a winch handle has been inserted into the furling winch. CCW turning unfurls the sail. The winch handle is cranked CCW until it is ready to tear the RH section of the rope clutch off its mounting. The handle is then turned CW and again it is now ready to tear the LH section of the rope clutch off its mounting. Back and forth repeatedly and it jams every time. If you look inside the winch plates, the faces are covered with heavy radial protrusions which force the furling line towards the centre of the winch. It has to jam.

I notice that my 10 mm. furling line is about 5 to 6 years old and showing wear but is still solid and fits snugly in the reefing winch.

* Lock the circular furling line on the left cam cleat
* Release the circular furling line right (starboard) cam cleat (the one that furls the main)
* Place three wraps of the right circular furling line around the adjacent winch but do not tension the line
* Unfurl the main using the outhaul to the desired position
* Tension the circular furling line on the right via the winch when the main reaches the desired position thereby preventing further deployment of the main
* When safe, send the crew forward to move the pin from open/free to closed/locked on the furling hardware on the mast (presuming we are not likely to unfurl further).
Sorry, but I see no need in going through all this rigamaroll. It's just not required. Looks like you're going to be the only one on board who knows (and remembers) how to furl the main.

The 45DS owners manual doesn't address this.
Probably because it's so simple they figured it's not worth mentioning.