450 Bow Rollers & Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Pilolla

Has anyone successfully mounted 2 anchors on the bow of a 450? If so, what combination of anchors do you have? If anyone has modified the bow roller section I'd like to know what you did, where you got the hardware, approximately how much it cost. I tried mounting a Delta and a Fortress last season and is was not possible, given the factory configuration of the rollers. The Port side roller is almost totally useless, unless my seamanship skills and knowledge just need some upgrading. We plan to begin cruising in the not too distant future and I want to know I can put out at least 2 anchors from the bow, with the assistance of the windless. Thanks for any suggestions.

J

Jim

Ditto for H46

Same problem on the 46. Would like to mount the delta on the starboard and a Bruce on the port, but will have to modify. When I spoke to the dealor about this, he reported that Hunter knew that the port roller was useless, but would not change it for me. Any Ideas?

B

Bob Zolczer

I mount 2 anchors on my H29.5

I'm not sure what your configuration is, but my 29.5 has 2 bow rollers in one stainless steel pulpit bracket. I found the pin in the top of the pulpit bracket fits my CQR perfectly (one anchor mounted). I also use a clevis pin snap shackle mounted to the forward eye in the anchor well to secure the cqr's chain. I pull the stock of my 20# Hi Tensile Danforth over the roller with the flukes aligned vertically at the outboard side of the pulpit bracket. In order to secure the Danforth, I mounted a clevis pin snap shackle in the eye in the forward end of the anchor well. This snap shackle secures the chain of the danforth. The Danforth chain is also tied off to the cleat with the anchor rode. If it looks like I'm going to run into really rough weather (green water over the bow), I bring the Danforth into the anchor locker. I've only had to do that twice in 5 years. It looks squirrely, but it works and by using screw shut quick link connectors, I can pick either anchor, depending on bottom type, to attach to my rode..

J

John F

2 Anchors on bow roller of 376

I too have mounted 2 anchors on the bow roller of my 376. My primary anchor is a 44lb Bruce, which is on the farthest roller out Behind on the inner roller is a 35 CQR. The both ride well, but the Bruce is in the way of deploying the CQR. No big deal. Just not a smooth operation. The Bruce being all chain and on a windlass makes the operation a little more difficult.

P

Pete Burger

Two anchors

Mike, on my 430 I easily have two anchors. On the port side, the one furthest out, I have a 45# CQR, and on the starboard side, a 45# Bruce. I can deploy either or both (have done the latter several times, although the CQR is our primary anchor). Don't know if your bow rollers are different than mine.

D

Don Guggenheim

two rodes, not two anchors

Two anchors can not be stowed on the anchor stem, however you may utilize the "short" roller for the rode of your second anchor. I carry a fortress in the anchor locker with 50 feet of chain and 250 feet of nylon rode in addition to a bruce primary on the stem with chain and nylon rode. When both are used, which I have done one time for practice, the rodes worked fine on both rollers. As the fortress is light, storing and deploying it is easy.

B

Bob Bass

Two Anchors

It sounds like you have one of the newer 450's, with the very short roller on the port side. I believe that Hunter has changed their philosophy on the two-ancher bow, not to carry two anchors, but carry one and deploy the other from the locker. The previous response discribed a good solution. I have the old style (hull #20) and did extend the bow roller on the port side to get the #2 anchor to clear the primary anchor. Looking back on how many times I have used the #2 anchor, I think that Hunter's idea is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.