45' mast for Buchan 37

Jan 19, 2023
Buchan Buchan 37 Vancouver
Hello,
I'm looking for a solution to fix or replace the broken mast on my Buchan 37.
20220924_070446.jpg20220924_070932.jpg20220924_071019.jpg20220924_071033.jpg20220927_172314.jpg20220927_172327.jpg20220927_172332.jpg20220927_172338.jpg20220927_172415.jpg
The geographical location is New Westminster, BC Canada.

I checked with Lynden, WA, and a couple of mast makers in Rhode Island and California. So far I got two crazy price tags for only new masts from the US, but the cost is minimum triple the price that I paid for the whole boat. I refuse to believe that no one in BC can help with this. I mostly feel that my old mast is a scrap and not repairable anymore but it would be nice to listen to opinions from gurus.
My heart bleeds at a total loss of the boat like insurance is offering, especially after very hard work that was done for the last two-plus years of an extensive refit. So many things were fixed, replaced, and upgraded. And there were more plans for DIY fun.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Have you talked to Pro-Tech in North Vancouver ? You don't want to buy a mast from them (very pricey) but I've found them to be a good source of ideas. Google mast rigging in the Vancouver area if you haven't already done so.

Jan 19, 2023
Thanks for the advice, Ralph. Pro-Tech was my first-in-line contact to talk with. Sent them an email, as well as to Blacklinemarine, Bluewaterrigging, and Oceanrigging. No replies yet for a couple of days, probably need to phone them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum
It is a challenge finding replacement spars for boats. Problem is matching the needs of a boat built in the 60's with the strength requirement to handle blue water conditions. When you buy a used boat the mast and standing rigging has been discounted to nearly nothing in the price.

Looks to be a deck stepped mast of 45 ft. A lot like, the mast on my 35ft CAL. You could try to find a damaged boat with a good mast of approximately the same structure. I am afraid it might be like looking for a needle in a haystack. You would need a list of the specks:
Diameter, length, thickness of spar, circumference, number of spreaders and position on the mast, etc.

Don't worry about the hardware and fittings. You will likely need to modify a used mast to meet your broken mast specifications.

I ordered a pair of aluminum spreaders in 2016 to replace the original spruce spreaders that were damaged.
Ballenger Spars, Watsonville, Calif.
https://ballengerspars.com/
Took 6 plus weeks. cost $500 US. Great workman ship.

I would trust them to build a strong mast to handle ocean sailing in the PacificNW.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Hurricane belts are probably a good place to look for masts without viable boats attached anymore... but even then shipping it would cost a fair bit.
Looking at where it broke splicing might be an option especially if a similar section can be found or if you can 'live' with a slightly shorter rig.... We had a factory mast on one of our boats with an obvious riveted splice half way up.

Oct 22, 2014
We had a factory mast on one of our boats with an obvious riveted splice half way up.
It is not always possible to build and ship a 60 plus foot aluminum extrusion. Often masts are two or more pieces assembled together.

Jan 19, 2023
Welcome to the SBO Forum
It is a challenge finding replacement spars for boats. Problem is matching the needs of a boat built in the 60's with the strength requirement to handle blue water conditions. When you buy a used boat the mast and standing rigging has been discounted to nearly nothing in the price.

Looks to be a deck stepped mast of 45 ft. A lot like, the mast on my 35ft CAL. You could try to find a damaged boat with a good mast of approximately the same structure. I am afraid it might be like looking for a needle in a haystack. You would need a list of the specks:
Diameter, length, thickness of spar, circumference, number of spreaders and position on the mast, etc.

Don't worry about the hardware and fittings. You will likely need to modify a used mast to meet your broken mast specifications.

I ordered a pair of aluminum spreaders in 2016 to replace the original spruce spreaders that were damaged.
Ballenger Spars, Watsonville, Calif.
Custom aluminum and carbon masts and booms
Took 6 plus weeks. cost $500 US. Great workman ship.

I would trust them to build a strong mast to handle ocean sailing in the PacificNW.
Thanks, John for your support and advice. I got a "Mast Info Sheet" that Ballenger Spars sent me recently. I'm going to fill this up as much as can understand it. I just must do it. I will need it anyway.

Jan 19, 2023
Hurricane belts are probably a good place to look for masts without viable boats attached anymore... but even then shipping it would cost a fair bit.
Looking at where it broke splicing might be an option especially if a similar section can be found or if you can 'live' with a slightly shorter rig.... We had a factory mast on one of our boats with an obvious riveted splice half way up.
Thanks for the valuable direction. Sorry, I can't find the contact points of Hurricane belts, could you advise? Google brings me to unrelated spots. I'm wondering if there are any demolishing boat places around non-extreme driving distances from Vancouver BC.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Have you tried reaching out to local fabricators? I know it's a stretch but it might be doable, especially if they "overbuild" the repair

Jan 19, 2023
Have you tried reaching out to local fabricators? I know it's a stretch but it might be doable, especially if they "overbuild" the repair
Yes, several US-based fabricators, and I got two quotes. I was hoping to find someone in BC or at least in Canada.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
One of my surface mounted spreaders got caught when we stepped the mast. It created two tears in the mast. I found an excellent fabricator on Craigslist. There may also be a trade union or association that could recommend local fabricators

Jan 19, 2023
One of my surface mounted spreaders got caught when we stepped the mast. It created two tears in the mast. I found an excellent fabricator on Craigslist. There may also be a trade union or association that could recommend local fabricators
Thanks Project_Mayhem, I will study this option as well.

Jan 19, 2023
Sailing Victoria,

You may want to circle back to Lynden;

Good luck
That was the real deal! Thanks pipedream. I just emailed them. Unfortunately, I have rebuilt completely compression post and bulkhead, but it’s a matter of extra fun. Down side is that I'm still sourcing it to have successful discussions with my insurance, as well as it kind of tough to sourcing an extra funds for this after complete bottom refit last year. And I was hoping to redo the deck, at least around the mast section while it's demasted.

Oct 22, 2014
If it works, Buy the mast and set it in the yard on saw horses so you can refit it to your boat’s needs.

Jan 19, 2023
I'm going to recycle my old mast pieces. There are 3 chunks with different lengths. Should I just cut it to movable sizes and drive by the local recycle facility? Looks like no much can be salvaged but maybe reused as a compression post .
I removed all of the SS hardware. Most probably these will go to recycle as well.

Unfortunately, I missed that 53' mast. I was in long conversation with insurance guys at that time and it took awhile to finalize a total loss with the condition to keep the boat. Now it's over and I'm planning of taking good care of the deck. Not in the mast search at this time, most probably will start over next year.

Now is another challenge. Insurance said that they need survey in order to continue to cover my liability after mid July. They provided me an endorsement till that date and I'm looking for surveyor who can prove that the boat is moored, safe and afloat, even without the mast. Is there anyone who can help with it?