42 vs 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dick taylor

I have raced 22's owned 34 and now have a 36 and want a larger more comfortable boat for extended stays. I love the way the 36 sails and would like to hear opinions of 42 vs 400

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There has been a thought floating around

that Catalinas without the 0 on the end are sailboats, while the ones with the 0s are floating homes. If you liked your 34 and 36, the 42 would be a very good choice because it's a SAILboat, not a Winnebago. To all those with 400s who like them, consider this another urban myth to be de-mythed.

T

Tom S

I think the C42 is more like the C34/C36

So if you like the C36 I think the C42 is closer in style. While I understand what Stu is talking about with regards the the "0's" being a little bit more floating condos' (especially the C350) I really think the C400 is probably one of the better sailing "0's" that Catalina makes, but it is different from the C42 and less traditional feel (wide stern, etc). Also as far as sailing boats I really think the C320 is a very good sailing boat, though a little less stable and a little more "go-cart" feeling and light and responsive. It will not feel as comfortable in heavier seas as a C36 though Beware I don't think you'll get as "stable" a feel on either the C42 or the C400 as you would the C36 which happens to be one of the most stable/stiff Catalina's made. What the C36 (especially the Wing Keel ) has which really makes her exceptionally stabile for her size is that she has a HUGE Ballast Ratio 0.468 !(Ballast/Displacement noted this is with an empty boat displacement). All things being equal The ballast ratio can give some indication of how stiff or tender a boat may be and how comforatble the motion might be. In one of Nigel Calder books he recommends a value of 0.30 or higher for an offshore cruiser. A Cabo Rico 38 is 0.33, a Catalina 42 is 0.36, a Haberg Rassey 39 is 0.37, a Pacific Seacraft 40, is Malo 42 is 0.34, a Caliber 40LRC is .39 and the highest he lists is an Island Packet @ 0.40 (these are values with 2500 lbs cruising weight. The C36 would rank right up the IP 40) Compare that to a Beneteau 411 which is only 0.27. I know the ride on my C36 is going to be a lot more stabile. I was on a C320 a year ago and just sailed about 7 miles and I felt it more much more tiring than my boat (nice boat for a race though). When I was on Gerry Douglas's C42 with others from the C36 group it became immediately apparent to most of us that the C36 was a much more stiff and stable platform. So much so that a few of us changed our minds a little about the C42 (or other boats) would become our next boat, though I know the C42 to be a lot stiffer than other boats out there. I learned I like "Stiff" and Stable

Jun 14, 2007
- - lake texoma texas
goog stuff

I appreciate all posts and welcome more. The 36 is a fabulous sailing boat. I hope I don't make a mistake by going larger. I need more space to spend 3-4 days every other week or so and do not want to buy another house. The boat is 2 hours away. I am looking for anything and everthing anyone has to offer.

Apr 10, 2006
- - St. Petersburg, Fl
both have about the same phrf rating

Both have about the same phrf rating. I have heard the 42 sails very nice. Check out the 42 s owner association. Some of the owners talk about how well they think it sails.

R

Rodney

C-42 in the Pacific Cup

In July of 2006, I crewed on Irish Lady, a 2000 model year C-42. The Pacific Cup runs from San Francisco to Kaneohe Bay on Oahu, HI. Our sailing distance was 2,200 miles. We did the crossing in 13 days, 6 hours. We finished 3rd in our division behind a Beneteau 38s5 and an Express 34. The Express weighed 100 more pounds than our keel alone. The 4th place boat was a Beneteau 42. We finished 90 miles ahead of the B42. After sailing a C-42 that far, I am really impressed with how they sail. Also, I own a 1997 2 cabin fin keel C-42. Trust me, they sail pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.