41DS Charger/ Inverter Replacement

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I know this subject has been discussed at length before but I would like to bring it up once more for some specific recommendations
My Hunter 41DS has a Xantrex Freedom 20 charger/ inverter(2000 Watt) which has started to occasionally overheat and trip the shore power offline. I have tested the fan which works when 12v applied but I don’t think it runs when the system gets hot. It is 15 years old so I would like to replace it. The current unit has separate channels for the house and start batteries
No simple plug and play replacement as this unit is no longer available. I have read many favorable comments about Magnum charger/inverters and they make specific models to replace this unit.
They are available as modified or true sine wave and 2000 or 2800 watt capacity. Unfortunately none of the current systems I have looked at have the internal start battery function so a combiner will be needed.
My questions are:
Would the Magnum be a good replacement? Other recommendations? An advantage of this system is that the original wiring for the remote panel can be used for the replacement- less wire fishing
Should I buy the true sine system?( almost double the price-The old modified system has been adequate for our needs so far).
The Magnum physical dimensions for the 2000 or 2800 watt units are the same (almost the same as the Xantrex). Is there any reason not to go with the higher capacity? Space is limited so a separate charger and inverter is probably not an option
If there are owners of the 41DS who have made this replacement, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts! I would like to keep the installation as simple as possible.
Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any inputs.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Last Fall I replaced my 2500 Xantrex Charger/Inverter with the Xantrex 3012. It was nearly a drop in. The only difference was the battery connections are not in exactly the same location so I added a short extension through a junction box. Worked fine immediately. The remote panel and the echo charger for the start battery is separate and must be purchased separately. Man, it is a heavy unit!!!! Heavier than the 2500, which was no lightweight either. But the new did fit in exactly the same location. I bought it from Defender with a steep discount.
Just a data point.

Last edited:

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
The original Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger on my '99 410 died this past fall, and I replaced it with a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger purchased on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5JKLX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
With the separate remote panel it was around $750. I called Xantrex technical support first to ask why it was so much cheaper than the Xantrex SW2012 2000 watt inverter/charger and was told the XC2000 is newer technology utilizing a single processor board (it's also compatible with lithium!). The unit itself is smaller, and the remote fits in a smaller opening than the old remote (thanks Xantrex!), but so far I'm very happy with the XC 2000.

Sep 8, 2016
Hunter 41 AC Rock Hall, MD
The Freedom 20 on my 2007 41AC was fumbling... overheating, fan failed etc. I took it out and shipped to Lamplighter Marine in Florida and they replaced some electronic components (like, they un-soldered and replaced objects on the printed circuit board).... If I recall, it cost something like $400 including shipping. Works great and it’s been several years. Guy at Lamplighter was terrific. HTH

Sep 8, 2016
Hunter 41 AC Rock Hall, MD
The Freedom 20 on my 2007 41AC was fumbling... overheating, fan failed etc. I took it out and shipped to Lamplighter Marine in Florida and they replaced some electronic components (like, they un-soldered and replaced objects on the printed circuit board).... If I recall, it cost something like $400 including shipping. Works great and it’s been several years. Guy at Lamplighter was terrific. HTH
Correction: found the invoice....it was $207 in 2016. Replaced cooling fan and corrected some loose DC connections.

• Helpful
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
No simple plug and play replacement as this unit is no longer available.
My new Freedom 12 2000W 2012... newest by Xantrex.
It is plug and play.
It is stackable for multiple battery stations too. But you can use a controlled power splitter to charge your Start Battery

The Xanbus interface uses a ethernet cable to network for possible multiple remote control stations.

@gfrazzle did not mention, if he had a Genset.
If yes, the unit can Auto Start Genset to assure always power on your boat, if shore power is loss.

The new unit has an Automatic Transfer Switch to assure no back feed to shore power with a Genset.

My old unit never had a problem, mine got "sloshed" from recent Hurricane Damage so I got mine via Insurance.

Good Luck...
Jim...

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
My old Xantrex died also. Since I had already upgraded to Lithium, I went to the Battleborn sight. I decided to try the AIMS 3000. Been very happy with it for four years. Pure sine and it fefinately has the watts it claims.

Cheers

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
I know this subject has been discussed at length before but I would like to bring it up once more for some specific recommendations
My Hunter 41DS has a Xantrex Freedom 20 charger/ inverter(2000 Watt) which has started to occasionally overheat and trip the shore power offline. I have tested the fan which works when 12v applied but I don’t think it runs when the system gets hot. It is 15 years old so I would like to replace it. The current unit has separate channels for the house and start batteries
No simple plug and play replacement as this unit is no longer available. I have read many favorable comments about Magnum charger/inverters and they make specific models to replace this unit.
They are available as modified or true sine wave and 2000 or 2800 watt capacity. Unfortunately none of the current systems I have looked at have the internal start battery function so a combiner will be needed.
My questions are:
Would the Magnum be a good replacement? Other recommendations? An advantage of this system is that the original wiring for the remote panel can be used for the replacement- less wire fishing
Should I buy the true sine system?( almost double the price-The old modified system has been adequate for our needs so far).
The Magnum physical dimensions for the 2000 or 2800 watt units are the same (almost the same as the Xantrex). Is there any reason not to go with the higher capacity? Space is limited so a separate charger and inverter is probably not an option
If there are owners of the 41DS who have made this replacement, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts! I would like to keep the installation as simple as possible.
Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any inputs.
What was your final solution? I'm leaning toward a Magnum for my H41DS but not sure what to do about echo charger.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I had the Magnum MS2012 Pure sine wave inverter/ RC50 remote panel installed for the house batteries and a Blue Sea ACR combiner for the Start battery. Magnum makes a Smart Battery Combiner but my electrician suggested the ACR for my system. The RC50 uses the same wiring and the panel installs in the original cutout for the Xantrex panel. You can even use the original battery temp sensor if the old one is in good condition which eliminates ANY wire fishing to the Magnum. So far it works fine and I'm very satisfied with the Magnum/ Blue Sea combo.