410 Engine Stop circuit?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Has anyone traced this entire circuit (physically)? My stop button longer works. It has power but the relay is not closing to energise the solenoid. Does anyone know the route the harness takes? I had this issue several years ago and it was the relay. Not that lucky this time. My 410 is a 1998 so it has the fiberglass arch and the engine control panel is in the arch. I believe the harness comes out of the port gull wing locker below the removable deck plate. from there I'm not sure. I had a 340 previously and it had an issue with the start circuit where Hunter had to splice in a section to extend it. It failed there at the splice. I'm wondering there's a similar situation on this circuit.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I've traced mine for the most part (2001), but before I messed with the wiring I would really check the push button switch to be sure it really has power on the output while pushing it. I've replaced my switches more than once because they don't last (sometimes you have to wiggle it around while pushing it. Unlike a start circuit the stop circuit hardly uses any power as it is just a solenoid that dumps the fuel. It would take a lot of wiring corrosion I think to prevent it working.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Thanks Don,

The switch tests out with a meter... The solenoid relay (port side of engine) doesn't click when the button is pushed. To me that's a pretty good indication the power isn't getting from the switch to the relay. I'll let you know what I find...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
I would put power to the relay to see if it actuates the shut off. That would prove it is a wiring problem - or not. You can power each component individually to see if each is working --if all are... it is the wiring.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I replaced the relay, so I'm pretty confident that the wiring between the relay and the stop switch are bad. As I said I have seen this in previous Hunter boats on circuits between the control panel and the engine compartment before. I was hoping someone had seen this problem and already located where Hunter created the splice (if they did). My 340 had a splice in the start circuit and they used a simple non waterproof butt splice. When it failed the two wires separated completely.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
UPDATE: SOLVED

Embarrassed to say that about 4"s down from the relay I replaced there was a wire broken off due to internal corrosion and maybe heat? I was in a hurry so I didn't confirm but I believe it was the ground for the coil side of the relay. butt spliced it and it works like new. I will go back and water proof and secure it this weekend!