41 owners input on crusing the ICW and Caribbean

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
All
I want to thank you for your input on my buying decision. I am now the proud owner of a Hunter 41 ac newly named Larimar. We just spent the last three days sailing and motoring up the Chesapeake and you guys were right easy to sail in 15 nk winds and gust of 20. what a great vessel.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
WHAT IS THAT POLE ON THE LIFELINES ? IS IT A SPINNAKER POLE ? PLEASE SHOW ME WERE DO YOU ATTACH IT.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Looks to me to be a whisker pole based on the end facing aft. The other end would clip to the forward side of the mast parrallel with the clew of the jib. Want to get me one of those for those DDW courses.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have an awesome custom made Carbon Fiber whisker pole weighing in at only 8 pounds. It Rocks!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Just so I can race PHRF it can not be more than the LP of the jib which for me is Jx 1.10 which gives me 14.3 feet so I went with 14' on my 110 jib.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Your 110 jib will reach the mast or is shorter ? I do not know wich one do i have, about PHRF i have this regards, mine is not DS, but is skoal draft (5) and i have seldom roller main, so the rating is 105? or 114? DS day salor or deck salon in the ratings ?

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So a new question I am planning a trip up the coast from Chesapeake city to the Long Island sound ~250 miles what will my file burn be at cruising speed 2800rpm. Will I have enough gas. I expect 40 hours to make the trip or how far before I should duck in to refuel

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
DayDreamer thank you for the reply and brings up an interesting question. Looking at my tank it reads 50gal however when we went to fill it up we put in 51gal and stoped befor the pitch of the fuel going in changed just because the tank said 50 gals. No overflow or fuel out a vent. So is the tank marked with 50 but has a reserv or does it expand? As for why in God’s green earth we would need to put that much fuel in is a story told over a beer

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Tucker67, I am a bit confused as to tank volume myself, I could swear I read that the tank was 55 gal, the manual says 36 gals and Sailboat data states 51 gal. The fact you put 51 gal in yours kinda secures the volume Sailboat data has listed, I am sure you would adjust your range accordingly say 40 gals which would work out to exactly 250 kM's with good amount of reserve.
Also, the fuel burn rate is variable depending on conditions so keep that in mind as well and finally, it is a sailboat so there is always the use of sail power after all isn't that why we have that big tall stick thing coming out of the deck.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Cool and yes will adjust my calculations on size and factor in current wind. I did see the 36 gal data sheet in the manual lol my self. Lucky I had a picture of the tank or would have really worried I had an issue.