41’ AC and DS Hunter owners

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
Looking for owners of 41’ AC (built 2005-2010) and DS (built 2005-2012) Hunter sailboats that would share information about issues they have had and up grades they have made.
First question centers around prop and boat speed;
What prop diameter, number of blades and pitch you’re using?
What RPM you run at and speed (in knots) you achieve?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good question..............you are going to get lots of guidance and recommendation on this one. Although I do not have a 41 all my Hunter sailboat (31, 386 and now 46) have 3 blade Campbell sailor fixed propeller per manual specifications (18" x 17" RH 1.25" bore) since it is lower cost vs. feathering and folding prop and I achieve close to hull speed at about 2500 rpm. Check with the prop dealer like West By North on proper sizing based on your engine hp, transmission, shaft diameter (often found in the marine survey).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not a Hunter Owner.
:plus: on what @sail sfbay says.
I two have a Campbell Sailor prop. The prop does what it is advertised to do very efficiently.
Just guessing here that "sd US" is code for San Diego, one of the great sailing areas of the world. While you are not challenged with the strong tidal currents that pervade the waters of the PacificNW you do have the ocean swell of the pacific to deal with. You have the need for a prop that will move you through those swells. I have found that the Campbell Sailor does just that on my boat. The blade design converts the engine power more efficiently to forward thrust. The results I found were less angular draw down of my stern due to large blades and more direct thrust. This resulted in the boat getting to Hull Speed without the stern sagging in the water. Also less prop walk better sailing performance.

Good luck.

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
The SD is for South Dakota, which is where I was all the time a few years back. Now I’m only there a few months a year (unfortunately now in the winter with the Covid out on the loose) and spend most of my time somewhere on the East coast. I asked the question because going back to Marlow/Hunter you can’t get a solid answer, because they add that they didn’t build Hunters and or limited information on it, they listed my motor as a 56 hp, but by Yanmar its a 54hp. My OEM manual lists a 16” X 13 two blade, but they came with the 40hp or optional 54hp which is what I have. I running an 18” X 12, 3 blade now but don’t think I getting the speed I should be achieving, much better than 5 1/2 knots 2400 RPM (hull speed should be a little over 8 knots). Now I went over everything with Yanmar as for fuel filter, clean bottom, clean prop, not bent or dinged, clean fuel, I achieve maximum RPM of about 3300 RPM wide open throttle, (maximum RPM should be between 3250 and 3325) so I’m there. Only thing the speed is loaded, provisioned and I little heavier in the rear. The prop that’s on it was what it came with, I did talk to the company that made that prop (Michigan Wheel Marine) and they said that I should be running a 14 pitch and could even go up to a 15 pitch. I have also read the different prop reviews which showed about 1 1/2 knots difference between one mfg/design and another, I may just have one of those slow prop Mfg/designs.

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
Sail sfbay, your boat must have somewhere between 80 and 110hp motor with a continuous RPM rating of 3000?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
South Dakota. My wife has kidded me about moving there. She likes the positions of the Governor. I always ask, Where is the water to go sailing?

Here are images of the 2 props. The design of the Campbell Sailor is more advanced than the Michigan Wheel.
Michigan Wheel IMG_3305.JPG

CampbellSailor IMG_3575.JPG

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
Quite a difference in the look of the size of blades, I can read the Campbell prop is a 20R X 12. There’s water 500’ deep and can sail for over 100 miles, it just depends on the mast height and can get under the bridges. Most sail on North or South side of those bridges unless your sailing under a 25’ boat. With the wind up there and nothing but prairie grass to stop it, it can give a 40’ all they can handle with waves. The guys would have a guy’s day out when the wind was up 30 and 40 plus, just playing around, women would just stay on the dock drinking wine. I sent in info to Campbell for a quote.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 2004 41 AC. I have a 4JH3E, 56hp at 3800 RPM driving a stock three blade,18x12 . In 2005 my understanding is that Yanmar came out with the 4JH4AE to meet the more stringent EPA requirements, which reduced HP to 54 and Max RPM to 3000. I have attached the Yanmar spec that I got from Yanmar USA. Hope this might be useful. Yanmar told me that to size a prop correctly you want it big enough so that at full throttle you match max specified RPM. On my boat it matches. The tech doc that I attached says max rpm should be 3000, so it sounds like you are under propped.

Attachments

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
Ice Breaker, does your 2004 look and have the same design as the 2005 & newer AC? I think the 41DS has the same hull as the AC, only the cabin top is different. What do you achieve for maximum knots? At half throttle and above does your boat want to steer to Port if you let go of the wheel, this is not pop walk or prop wash?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Dockhand it is the same hull as 2005, through when ever they quit making the AC and DS 2010? The great recession killed Hunter. My notes are on the boat, so this is a WAG, but if I recall at 2600 I see high 6, and at 3000 about 7.2, 3800 about 8.5-9. Flat, fresh water, and a clean hull. Again I have a different motor. At high power settings, if you let go of the wheel it will turn to port slowly and as the turn tightens it gets more aggressive, but I would not say that it is fighting me.

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
If I was getting in the high 6’s at 2600 I would be ok with that, you have the larger motor and more RPM than my 3000 continuous. My top RPM WOT is 3325. My hull is different than the 410 which is what the newer 41 replaced. Wish I had more info from other that have 41’s with the 54hp motor.