Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Jensen

looked at the 400 but setteled on the 380

I am very happy that I did. The 380 was less expensive to start with and does NOT have a second head (which I dislike)..As far as the twin wheels, I'll pass. The shifting and throttle are only on one side. If you have to gauge a dock and you are on the wrong side of the throttle---it could be a problem...The advantage is the extra beam and L W L..small trade off. I would get the two cabin 42 with the center line berth as a first choice, the 380 as a second choice, the 470 as a third choice and the 400 as a forth choice...Just my opinion....

S

Sam Sevier

We love our 400

Check out the boat review section of this site and our International Catalina 400 Association at:www. catalina400.org. Any other questions, contact me at DEP454@aol.com and I will be happy to answer. P.S. If you ever single hand, or sail with your wife who likes to sunbathe while you sail, twin wheels are unbeatable.

T

Tim Leighton

JUST ORDERED ONE

Unless the deal falls through (always a possibility until the ink is dry), we ordered a new 400 at the Annapolis Sailboat Show a couple weeks ago. Looked at 34-42' lengths and decided we liked the 400 best. Couple of thoughts: 1. Aft cabin, while not ideal (next time you are docked w/ the wind off the stern and waves slapping under the counter you'll know), is HUGE and even has relatively good headroom. The 380, also had good space there, but the headroom left a lot to be desired. 2. The second head, while something else to break, does allow any guests to have a bit of privacy. Most of the time that head will be unused or put into place as an extra hanging locker. 3. EVERYONE I've talked to that has used the double wheel configuration on the 400 and 470 LOVE it. Really opens up the cockpit, raises the deck to allow that extra aft cabin headroom, provides additonal seating options,and best of all, allows shorter armed sailors (like my wife) to sit on the side and still reach the wheel. After we take delivery (sometime late this winter we think), I'll try to keep track of our initial impressions and compare them to personal experience. We'll report them here. Good luck in your search. As you are probably well aware, many of us feel that Catalinas offer the most boat for the money on the market today. Tim L. (hopefully soon-to-be former owner of S/V "TIDE")

S

Stanley J. Rogacevicz

Aft Cabin Sleeping

Tim, The transom slap that all the wide sterns with no overhang suffer with - my c28, c310, my c320, c380, c400 can be silenced with the Slap Silencer available on this site. I refused to pay the high price they ask for a few years, but the results are worth it ! It is also a pain to put on and take off and store (wet) - but it works great! Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

P

Patrick Woods

Love it

Ed, We have been sailing a 400 now for a little over two years. We are very happy with our choice of boats. Thoughts. 1. Agree with the requirement, on previous comments, for a slap silencer. We are just about to buy one and hope it makes a difference. 2. Watch the steering cables. Have them adjusted when you take delivery. If not aligned, the pullies wear out and the cable will jump off. Other than that, enjoy! Patrick

T

Tim Leighton

I'M CHEAP BUT WANT A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP!

Stan et. al.: Thanks for the advice on the slap silencer. Based on everyones recommendation I'll probably be ordering one very soon. A good night's sleep is a precious thing to waste! Smooth sailing and QUIET anchoring! Tim Leighton

Status
Not open for further replies.