40 Autopilot Linear drive Mounting Location

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
Anyone out there have a ODay 40 running an linear drive motor autopilot. looking for advice on mounting location for the motor and attached choice for quadrant or shaft.

pictures real do explain alot, if you have them. Thanks everyone.

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Don-
Just installed mine, will send pics later this week. I secured a steel angle on the horizontal bracket already installed & glasses into the transom. There’s not enough room back there to drill the rudder stock in order to mount the drive quadrant so I had the yard do a short haul to drop the rudder and drill it. $$$. This was the easy part, installing the rudder position sensor was a nightmare.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Mine was installed on the starboard side of the cockpit well and connects to an arm on the rudder stock.
I can send a picture in a couple of days but the downside of mine is that they had to make the propane locker smaller.
It was an Alpha 44 that I'm about to convert to pypilot.

Aug 21, 2020
Don-
Just installed mine, will send pics later this week. I secured a steel angle on the horizontal bracket already installed & glasses into the transom. There’s not enough room back there to drill the rudder stock in order to mount the drive quadrant so I had the yard do a short haul to drop the rudder and drill it. $$$. This was the easy part, installing the rudder position sensor was a nightmare.
Hi LouisMK, was hoping you would chime in. How has your sailing season been. look forward to the pics

Aug 21, 2020
Mine was installed on the starboard side of the cockpit well and connects to an arm on the rudder stock.
I can send a picture in a couple of days but the downside of mine is that they had to make the propane locker smaller.
It was an Alpha 44 that I'm about to convert to pypilot.
I agree not ideal to loos space in the propane locker. Appreciate you taking the tine to take some pictures

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Here are a couple of shots. Excuse the messy background. We're about to head out and this lazarette is our "junk drawer".
The cutout in the cockpit well is where the old control panel was.
The bad news was the loss of propane space. Now we have a 17lb fiberglass tank and a 10 lb aluminium tank that combine to give us about 80 days of cooking.
The good news is that the ram uses a tiny amount of power.

Attachments

Aug 21, 2020
Here are a couple of shots. Excuse the messy background. We're about to head out and this lazarette is our "junk drawer".
The cutout in the cockpit well is where the old control panel was.
The bad news was the loss of propane space. Now we have a 17lb fiberglass tank and a 10 lb aluminium tank that combine to give us about 80 days of cooking.
The good news is that the ram uses a tiny amount of power.
it never crossed my mind as a possible install location, unfortunate with thenpropoane locker interference.

i see the drive is attached to the rudder stock via a tiller arm. Question: does the arm have a bolt through the rudder stock? or only a set screw?

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
I think that, with a little thought, they could have installed it without notching the propane locker.
The arm is located with a set screw. Its a 2 part arm with a spring loaded lock actuated by a cable from the cockpit.
I like that part as there is no drag when it is disengaged.

Aug 21, 2020
Don-
Louis-would you know the size of the steel angle used

Aug 21, 2020
Don-
Hi LouisMK, dredging back up an older post. Next time you are at your boat could you take a picture of the autopilot linear drive installation. It would be a great help.

Side note to all with a 40. Found "Sailing SV Barefoot Adventures" on YouTube who is sailing a 40 in the Caribbean.