40.5 Structural Integrity

puig

Jun 14, 2004
- - -
Would really like to hear from other 40.5 owners on any issues with keel to hull joints, hull flexing, bulkheads shifting...or those that have had long pounding passages. I really like the boat. Just want to make sure that it id up to abuse.

FWIW - I had a chance to see the new Marlow Hunters - 33 and 37. To say I was impressed is an understatement.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
When I toured the factory last year I asked Greg Emerson that question and he said he has never heard of a Hunter breaking apart from pounding seas. Even so, I would not take my 410 across the ocean but have no problem coastal cruising.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
I bought my 1997 40.5, 4 years ago, and with 3 additional crew we delivered it from Miami to Beaufort NC, offshore, 2nd night out while in the gulf stream we got hit by a nor'easter (surprise, wasn't in the forecast when we left) it blew a steady 25 knots sustained with gusts to 30 knots and seas soon built to 10+ft, not where you want to be in those conditions, had a wave that came across the deck that blew out the center panel in the dodger, ( old stitching) we took a lot of severe pounding that sounded and felt like the mast was going to come thru the deck, this lasted for about 10 hours and then at first light we headed for the nearest safe inlet (Mason Borough in Wrightsville beach and called it a night and day.
Nothing broke (other than the dodger) and nothing came loose, to this day all doors and drawers close as they are supposed and all bulk heads are secure.
Had a boat neighbor who crossed the Atlantic twice, NC to Spain and back with family including teenage girls, in their H410, with no issues.

Hope this helps ease any concerns,

Capt. Ron

Would really like to hear from other 40.5 owners on any issues with keel to hull joints, hull flexing, bulkheads shifting...or those that have had long pounding passages. I really like the boat. Just want to make sure that it id up to abuse.

FWIW - I had a chance to see the new Marlow Hunters - 33 and 37. To say I was impressed is an understatement.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
What Specifically?

You may not get many replies since I have never heard of any failing. Last year, I did 125 miles in conditions of 8-12 steep confused seas and winds to 40+ knots. Over half the fleet quit, three boats lost steering and it was a bonus for sailmakers. We did well after tripping due to inexperienced crew.

A neighbor took his 40.5 from SoCal to Austrailia which is about as blue-water as you can get. Uneventful if you don't count the unfortunate episode with a felonious whale.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Re: What Specifically?

When we moved our "new to us" 1994 Hunter 40.5 from New Rochelle NY to Annapolis we had to go offshore from New York Harbor to the Delaware Bay. We had planned on a direct sail from New Rochelle to the Bay but the weather was more than was forcasted and expected. We were motoring off New Jersey in 10+ft pounding seas nearly head on. To say the least it showed us that the boat would do way more than we could handle, without a hiccup. When we dove into the oncoming waves it was like getting hit with a semi every time. We pulled into Atlantic City to get some sleep and then proceeded on from there the next day. All I can say is that I was really impressed with how well this Hunter stood up to the pounding. Would I go on a Trans-Atlantic - probably not, but with some modifications I sure the boat could handle it with a decent weather window.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
It's a fabulous boat

I bought my 40.5 new from the factory.
It was a great boat. Excellent quality of construction
What a lot of people don't realize is that the hull to deck joint on the 40.5 is probably the strongest of any boat at any price
They flanged the deck & hull outwards, and then bolted on a full length toerail
You can literally lift the boat by the toerail, and nothing would happen.
Firstly, this method of construction makes hull to deck leaks virtually impossible.
The reason they did it, believe it or not, was cost.
In the toerail they had square holes.
So, one assembler could drop in bolts, (with a square head on the shaft), and tighten them himself.
With an inward turned flange its a lot more labour.
This was a brilliant design move.
It gave a full length toerail (boy, do I miss that), plus incredible rigidity of the joint.
In short, this boat is really well put together.

puig

Jun 14, 2004
- - -
wow, all excellent reviews. I recall reading about the 40.5 and the whale damage - breaking off the anchor roller - wondering if it is strong enough? Or was it more of a freak thing.

I was seriously looking at a 461 Beneteau, and a Passport 40. Maybe a clean Valiant 40 or Vancouver 42... Wonder if those three are worth the extra $ ? Like 30-40k better?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Whale Damage

Well, the damage to the anchor roller wasn't from the whale as much as the anchor chain wrapping on a coral head as the boat was being pulled out to sea and the anchor roller caught between whale and coral. If you consider engineering that load an oversight... well then, time to move on ;)

As far as the selection of boats, I have no comment, not knowing what you want, intend or will actually do. It's a hard call. I remember when I got this boat 16 years ago and had it recommissioned. The service guy questioned me about my request for a generator. He queried how I used the boat and intended to. He suggested I not drag a bunch of weight around and suggested a big alternator and inverter charger instead. 16 years later... he was right.

So, good luck on whatever you decide. If you think you need a Passport 40 or similar, I urge you to get one rather than worry about your decision. Be comfortable with your purchase.