$4.00 Per Foot Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
First, some pictures of yesterday I didn't get posted due to our first thunderstorm adventure.

Mike working on a mysterious writing project during the long, hot, power run from Ptown. He must be the last of a generation to write in longhand on a yellow pad. I bet he even talks on the cell phone:

The new Pinky Schooner Ardell passing Gloucester's iconic paint factory:

I was pleased to see the Schooner Westward tied up next to the Harvey Gamage. If she got up here from Fall River under her own power, she must be much more alive than she seemed when I saw her a few weeks ago:

Last evening, we anchored in fairly deep water and thus rather minimal scope due to the moorings. Later, a small but potent thunderstorm popped up just inland with some impressive cloud to ground vertical strikes. The core of the cell fortunately missed us but there was a period of strong winds that stretched out the anchor rode until we were up against a very fouled mooring. Always one to make lemonade out of lemons, I threw a line on it so we were ridding to both mooring and anchor.

Lemonade isn't particularly good for you. The ball evidently had quite a few barnacles on it because I discovered scars on the topsides near the waterline that Strider will probably carry to her grave.

I woke up early and got underway due to forecasts of scattered thunderstorms for this afternoon. Mike slept until Cape Ann was well astern. The morning started with rain but we ran out of it into calm and sunshine off Newburyport. The sky looked good off Portsmouth and we were making good time in the calm so we decided to keep on for a 2000 ETA at Richmond Island.

A look at the Doppler radar off the Nubble showed ominous cells popping up and there were alerts for hail and damaging winds. What did we ever do without onboard Internet? I decided that a diversion into Kennebunkport was in order. Both the online and print cruising guides said moorings were nearly impossible to come by so I called for a slip reservation at Chicks. After giving them my credit card number, I thought to ask for the rate. $4.00 a freaking foot!, My foot! That's the highest rate I've seen this trip and twice the norm.

Mike wasn't too happy. He's even more of a rustic and purist than I am. As we ran up to the breakwater, I was asking myself, Does this look like a $4.00 per foot sky?

Once I'd put in a load of laundry and walked up to town for a six pack and we were knocking a couple back in the cockpit after showers, the sticker shock was wearing off. It seemed even more reasonable when the sky began to look like this with lightning flashes under the clouds:

We were amused to see several powerboats heading out while sailboats were going the other way.

The wind came on strong with the rain. We were soon below with everything closed up tight and the boat heeling far enough for the beer bottles to slide across the galley counter top. I tried to get a picture of the impressive heel angle but, no luck.

Next, we heard a strange sound and looked out in the cockpit to see hail bouncing off the seats. I've been hailed many times in a boat but this is the first time I have ever been hailed.

It rained for quite a while and radar showed us to be in the weak spot between two cells one of which would have been right over us. I asked Mike how he would have liked to be off Biddeford running out to sea under bare poles followed by a long run back to anchor in the rain. I think he's got a little better appreciation for his dad's weather sense now.

$4.00 per foot sky? I think so.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Having had our boat hit by lightning the $120.00+ dollars seems like a good deal. I'd rahter surround myself with other potential targets than to be the only target.....:D

Feel free to grab my Manson Supreme when you get back. Use it as long as you like, it's just collecting pollen these days anyway... You've got too many draggings under your belt to continue with the current gear...;)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Roger, mind the tide on your departure from Kennebunkport. There is one spot just inside the breakwater where 5 ft will touch at low. I became momentarily stuck there last August. It's sand so no blood. It's basically a bar that works out from the south (starboard) side of the channel. Best to favor port side in there. Then there was another thin spot between the breakwaters - we didn't touch but I saw it on the depth sounder.

Aug 27, 2011
Hunter 336 Scotland
Is $4.00 per foot for a week?

Just did some conversions and I reckon that we pay around 85c to $1 per foot for an overnight stay in a marina in Scotland depending on the facilities.

Nov 22, 2008
Feel free to grab my Manson Supreme when you get back.
Wow. Thanks. I'd love to give one of those a try.

I don't think the anchor actually moved here. It was a tough spot since the increasing scope needed with depth meant the boat ended up in about the same place. The wind and forecasts were for 180 degrees the opposite direction so my placement was based on "just in case" for exactly what happened and my call was a bit tight for that one mooring.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Isn't Safe Harbor offered for free duing a storm?

I was under the assumption that "Safe Harbor" is offered for free during a storm, and that it is universal. Every time the gale waning come out at MDR the live aboards anchored off from Playa del Rey come in and use the guest docks for free.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
safe harbor is offered-at the usual per foot pricing used during non storm times. they cannot turn ye away during storms, spozedly.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
Must be a bit emotional to be rapidly approaching "home" after such a lengthy trip. I've really appreciated your writings and photos, fantastic real world experience for us all to learn from. What do you plan to do once you hit the hard and stop rocking? Will you be like Bernard Moittessier and decide to just keep going? Thanks again and I really recommend you take all this forum and turn it into a book!
Best regards and fair winds,

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
I was under the assumption that "Safe Harbor" is offered for free during a storm, and that it is universal. Every time the gale waning come out at MDR the live aboards anchored off from Playa del Rey come in and use the guest docks for free.
Safe Harbor is. Safe dockage not. It is a misunderstood concept. You are welcome to anchor for free in the harbor. Nothing else is offered except by courtesy and or local tradition.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
At MDR they have some 4hr free guest docks that they let them use regularly for 4 hrs. During a gale they are allowed to use the fee guest docks for free until the flags come down. I notice in some of the guides of various harbors that the mention safe harbor but it is difficult to tell from the context of the sentence if the are referring to the policy or the actual safety of the harbor.
BTW how's the back holding out?

Nov 22, 2008
Safe Harbor is. Safe dockage not.
That's for sure in Maine. It's actually even worse. One of the marinas in Portland told every customer a day before Irene last summer that they had to take their boat elsewhere to avoid damage to the docks. Where do 100 or so boats suddenly go? Hey, not their problem.

The marina my son worked for last year was very happy with this policy because they have a lot of new customers this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.