3YM30 Temp gauge installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
I have been trying to find a way to install a temp gauge for the 3YM30 and still keep the high temp warning buzzer operational. Suggestions were made to splice into the water heater line but as I checked this method results were not accurate for my liking. Here is a pic of the method I used and results were very accurate by checking with an infrared gun as well as gauge readings. Cost for parts were about $60.00 which include VDO marine gauge and temp sender, and 3/8 T-fitting that comes off the stock banjo fitting. I hope this is helpful to anyone that is searching for an easy way that works.

Scott

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Looks Great

Scott,

Nice installation. Does the teflon tape interfere with the grounding of the sender to the block? On mine I only used a small piece right at the top of the threaded fittings so I got some metal to metal bite for electrical continuity. My engine is the 3GM22F. I found a plugged hole on top of the thermostat that I could use with a metric to NPT adapter. That way I also retained the audible alert function. I did the same thing for the oil sender....there was a pipe plug hiding in the casting right below the stock sender. Another adapter and I installed the analog sender there. Its nice to see what's happening before the alarm goes off.

Allan

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Nice work Scott. Add that to my to-do list. Where did you purchase the hardware? And where did you install the gauge? I know there is no room on the little 3YM30 panel.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ed, the newer Hunters have the optional Instrument panel, which doesn't have the temp gauge but does have room for one. I looked back through some older posts and saw the pic of your panel.

Scott, great installation. I've been loking to do this with mine since my earlier overheating issues.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
Scott,

Nice installation. Does the teflon tape interfere with the grounding of the sender to the block? On mine I only used a small piece right at the top of the threaded fittings so I got some metal to metal bite for electrical continuity. My engine is the 3GM22F. I found a plugged hole on top of the thermostat that I could use with a metric to NPT adapter. That way I also retained the audible alert function. I did the same thing for the oil sender....there was a pipe plug hiding in the casting right below the stock sender. Another adapter and I installed the analog sender there. Its nice to see what's happening before the alarm goes off.

Allan
I can't agree with you more. Thanks for the pics and the oil pressure gauge is high on the list of to do's.
No the teflon tape had no interference. I know they suggest you don't use it on senders but I still do but just don't overdo it.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
Nice work Scott. Add that to my to-do list. Where did you purchase the hardware? And where did you install the gauge? I know there is no room on the little 3YM30 panel.
Ed I purchased the gauge and sender through Jegs performance. If your not familiar just google it. I should of had a pic of the gauge as well and if you still want it I will be going to the boat this weekend. I installed it right under the fuel gauge as Scott B has a pic of my panel. Temp range on the gauge if I remember correctly is 100-250 degrees. Works great and sure puts my mind at ease. I can't believe the amount of remarks I have heard that I don't need it. Good luck.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Ed, some of the guys here have installed the Cruzpro T-30 digital gauge. Other option is the Teleflex gauge from Defender or West Marine or probably available most other places as well.

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
Great job. ON my list of things to do in the next month or two. Can you please tell me how you ran the wire back to the instrument panel? Also the part number for the T fitting would be nice too. Thanks

Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
Great job. ON my list of things to do in the next month or two. Can you please tell me how you ran the wire back to the instrument panel? Also the part number for the T fitting would be nice too. Thanks
I ran the wire from engine under aft cabin bed to stern and across to starboard side and up to the panel. As far as the part number for the T fitting I went to my local hydraulic parts store and went with a 1.5 thread pitch male end on one side of T and 3/8 NPT female end on the other two sides. I believe that is what Alan is referring to with the metric to NPT adapter. I found the cheapest price on the gauge and sending unit was with Jegs. VDO marine gauge part Item# 918-310105. Cost is $25.99. I had to call to order sending unit for that gauge 1-800-345-4545. The cost for sending unit was somewhere around $23.00. Hope that helps.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.