3QM Engine Plate Location?

Oct 25, 2008
Hunter 37 Cutter, 1980 Solomons, MD
I need to locate the serial number on my engine, it's a Yanmar 3QM in my 1980 37C. Does anyone know where the build plate is located? Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I have never found a serial # on my 3QM30 engine and the service manual gives no hints as to where one may be found...

Oct 25, 2008
I found a decal aft and below the engine head, atop of the bellhousing. It looks like it says "DESIGNED BY YANMAR DIESEL..." and then it's hard to see. Can anyone please have a look while down at their boat? Might be the same location for 2QM and 3QM engines?

Attachments

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Coleman:

I had the same mystery after I bought my 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 in 2007. My motor is 2QM20 which as yours also converted by Yanmar to anti-freeze cooling with the external Sen-Dure exchanger circuit. *

Using a small mirror taped to a stick (how high tech!) so I could "see" into the small gap between the engine compartment siding and the engine, I eventually found the name plate located on the right hand side of the engine block (as looking from the cabin towards the stern) ... located underneath the starter motor. Then I was able to maneuver a camera (had to a real digital camera in the days before every smart phone had one.) Attached is the photo I took.

I agree with Jim Legere that the service manual makes no reference. But looking at the opening chapter diagrams my official Yanmar 2QM20 and 3QM30 manual, the 3QM diagram has a rectangle on the engine block under the starter motor. The diagram shows no details of it. Nor is it identified as a "part". But a chance this might be the name-plate?

Happy hunting!

(* If you want more info on Yanmar's Sen-Dure mod, let me know. I can direct you to previous posts five or so years ago.)

Attachments

Oct 25, 2008
Wow, we looked for about 20 minutes. We were probably never going to find that without help...

I guess what I really need is the serial number for the engine (registration requirement for Maryland), and I had assumed it would be on that build plate - looks like I'm wrong about that. So I did see a number stamped onto the block, above the forward port side engine mount. Maybe that was it? Or a part number?

Still curious what the Japanese Government export tag looks like when it's not rusted over (picture I attached earlier). Anyone have a good picture of this?

Thank you all for the help.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
Mine (1982) is on the port side of the block below the intake muffler. You need an inspection mirror to see it with the engine installed.