3M Scotchgard™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Has anyone use 3M Scotchgard™ film on a hatch lens. It is a Paint protection film which is a transparent polyurethane film that adheres to the painted surface of vulnerable areas on cars.

I am replacing the acrylic lens on my Lewmar hatches. Acrylic craze due to UV exposure.

I am using Lexen (poly-carbonate) instead of Acrylic as Lexen don't craze or break. But by chance I bought non-UV protection infused Lexen. So a 3M Scotchgard would make more sense as I can replace it easily.

Any thoughts?

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
My understanding is the opposite. Polycarbonate (Lexan) will craze wheras Acrylic (Plexiglas) remains clear. Lexan is 20 times stronger than Plexiglas.

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
I'm not sure the 3M film will have any UV protection. Its used on the front and rocker panels of cars to protect paint from rock chips and road tar and paint.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Actually Acrylic used by almost all hatch lens will crazing.
http://www.selectplastics.com/index.php/blogs/tonyd/crazing-acrylic.html

Polycarbonate (trade name Lexen) will not craze but if it is too thin, it will sag. Thus give it the shatter proof characteristic. Much stronger than Acrylic.

IMO it is perfect for hatch lens sine they are usually 3/8 to 7/16 thick so it won't sag. Unfortunately it will scratch, again because it is less brittle.

That's why I went the Lexen route but looking for UV and scratch resistance film.

Paint Protection Film (PPF) , also known as Clear Bra, is a thermoplastic urethane 8 mil clear film that is applied to the leading painted surfaces of new or used vehicle's in order to protect the paint from stone chips & nicks, bug splatter, road debris and minor abrasions.

The film is also used on RVs, airplanes, cell phones, motorcycles and many other areas. It was first designed for the use by the military to protect helicopter rotor blades and worked its way into general aviation then the racing industry and then to consumer automobiles.

It is also used on headlamps (polycarbonate) to protect it from fogging due to UV.

I was hopping someone already use it on hatch or windshield on speed boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.