3M 5200

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
@MikeHoncho I tried to think of something that is common on boats where 2 things on a boat that might be joined and never taken apart. I couldn't think of anything. The closest I came was a hull deck joint that was glassed over at the factory, but those are rare boats. Even keels have to be dropped from time to time, although this is one application that 5200 is well suited. There may be one-off repairs to broken parts, even there epoxy or polyester resin may be a better choice.

Not to be argumentative, I'd be interested in other's thoughts about a "never remove" installation or repair where 5200 would be the best choice.
aluminum angle applied to stringers for motor mount relocation (repower), installing composite compression post stand in bilge, laminating composite sheet to fiberglass for a reinforced mounting surface. sealing up non-potable aluminum water tank from the inside.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Gosh, and here I thought you were a STAUNCH proponent of staying on topic. In fact, you seemed earlier to be VERY adamant!
My point was.. knowledge of any future ban, for anything, that currently isn't on record, would require psychic powers.

Any ban that would go into effect in the future would be officially documented, not just heresay from unofficial sources.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Ok.. I was bored while waiting for the epoxy to cure.

I wonder if the unsubstantiated rumour of a "ban" might have roots in recent regulations in regards to unreacted diisocyanates.

They are used in polyurethane.

In 2023 a rule came down in the EU, requiring training for staff using products with diisocyanates.

In 2018, regulations came down in California for spray foam.
Background: https://dtsc.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2018/10/SPWP_RevisedSPF_9-14.pdf

In neither case was there a ban.

Isocyanates have been a known health risk for a while. Especially in the autobody refinishing industry.

Both 5200 and 4200 have Methylene bisPhenyl Isocyanate in them.
5200 has a higher level.

I can't find any reputable source that says 5200 or even 4200 will be banned in California.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
A prop 65 warnng is not a ban
Yup. Simply a warning tell you the chemicals used in the product can cause harm.

Label: "Known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm in the state of California"
My Joke: "Good thing I'm not in California right now"

That said, it has made me pay more attention to the product documentation, and wear gloves more often.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Been following this thread with the question in my mind as to what branch of the government is considering the ban and who would do the enforcement or is this a hot tip from somebody that is about to corner the market.
It would come down to the state law. State Dept of Commerce or health department would be my guess with state attorney enforcing. I have experienced distributors refusing to ship state banned materials in the past.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
We are all adults here and that is what an adult would do and not send friends to do their bidding.
And yet another disparaging remark towards the OP based on an assumption, not fact. A false assumption at that.