3D Printed Tiller Tamer

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Make sure you post the file on one of the sharing sites. You would be amazed sy how many people will use it. We have a printer and my son designs and prints stuff out all the time. He had a bunch of downloads of his things.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Thanks. I thought about uploading the model but it occurred to me that it would only be useful to people with round tillers the same diameter as the 23.5. I made it this way so that I wouldn't have to drill any more holes in my tiller.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Thats really nice. I guess 3d printer material has improved over the years. I thought the plastic "inks" were very brittle. What is the material? What printer are you using?

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
Boy I sure would like to test one of those for you. Just kidding. (Not really). That is a huge improvement over what’s out there now. Great idea. Rog

Dec 28, 2015
Thats really nice. I guess 3d printer material has improved over the years. I thought the plastic "inks" were very brittle. What is the material? What printer are you using?
We bought a kit that my son assembled for about $300. He is currently using a soft material to make cellphone cases. We normally use PVC which
Most start with PLA then move to ABS for longevity and heat resistance. The printers are farely cheap. I got mine for around $300. The 3d cad programs can get very expensive. A typical 2 pound spool of filament will run from $20 to $40. Perfect for one off projects. My son has built several drone bodies with ours.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Printer filaments have improved in that there are more options. Nylon is great for durability but not all printers can handle the higher temperatures required. I've read that PETG is also a big improvement but I haven't tried it yet. I went with old school PLA for this project because it didn't seem to me like a high stress application. I tweaked the clamping force on the line so that it will slip long before the tamer breaks.

The printer I'm using is kind of home brewed. I started with budget kit built printer called a Tantalus. When I got the itch to upgrade, I just took ideas that I liked from other printers and designed my own.

I'd be happy to print one for anyone. I'll go ahead and upload it to thingiverse.com tonight.

If you're looking for a cheep CAD program, Onshape.com has a really nice one that runs in your browser and is free for hobby use. I used Autodesk Fusion for a while (big player in the market) and ended up switching to Onshape.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
I would love to have one of these at your liesure. Rog

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
Could the file be posted somewhere on this site? I bought a printer for a CAD file I already had, but am not doing my own designs yet.

Dec 28, 2015
Printer filaments have improved in that there are more options. Nylon is great for durability but not all printers can handle the higher temperatures required. I've read that PETG is also a big improvement but I haven't tried it yet. I went with old school PLA for this project because it didn't seem to me like a high stress application. I tweaked the clamping force on the line so that it will slip long before the tamer breaks.

The printer I'm using is kind of home brewed. I started with budget kit built printer called a Tantalus. When I got the itch to upgrade, I just took ideas that I liked from other printers and designed my own.

I'd be happy to print one for anyone. I'll go ahead and upload it to thingiverse.com tonight.

If you're looking for a cheep CAD program, Onshape.com has a really nice one that runs in your browser and is free for hobby use. I used Autodesk Fusion for a while (big player in the market) and ended up switching to Onshape.
You can get Autodesk (full version) for free as a student for two years. To buy it costs a couple thousand dollars.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Here's the file on thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3517706
To complete, you will need a short length of 3/8 smooth rod that makes the piston that moves through the body of the thing. I cut mine from the smooth part of a 3/8 bolt. Cut the bolt a little long to start then partially assemble with a tiller line so you can mark the excess to cut off. Let me know if this is unclear and I can upload a picture.

Autodesk has a ton of different products. Fusion and Inventor are the two marketed to mechanical design. According to this comparison, there isn't much difference between them: https://all3dp.com/2/fusion-360-vs-inventor-cad-software-compared-side-by-side/. My main beef with Fusion was that the 'cloud storage' feature was very buggy. Twice it lost my model. Hours worth of work just disappeared (note: Inventor probably doesn't have this bug). Onshape has almost all the same features and I really liked not having to install anything. It means that I can work on my projects from any machine hooked to the internet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you write up a report on this and post it to every Hunter water ballast under owner mods. I would appreciate that knowing it is alot to ask.