39 Hunter underpowered with the base 29HP Yanmar?

Jan 10, 2010
Hunter 33 Port Dover
Hello everybody,

We've sold our 2005 Hunter 33 last year and it had an upgraded 29 HP Yanmar. Looking for our next boat and found a handsome 2011 Hunter 39. The only problem is that this boat also has the same 29HP Yanmar engine. Looks like an upgraded 40HP was available as an option for this boat, and most other boats of this type indeed do seem to have the 40, but this one has a 29.

Is this boat underpowered? I'd expect production boats to put in the minimum engine required, but this seems odd, and I don't remember feeling like our last boat had too much engine. Expecting to use it for ICW and Caribbean cruising, plus Great Lakes. Any advice from somebody who has a similar boat, or relevant experience?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My 2004 Hunter 386 had a 3JH4E 40 hp @ 3000 rpm and that engine was matched for that boat as it would achieve hull speed under motor with a Michigan Sailor 3 blade fixed prop. I would not have enjoyed a smaller motor.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Seems like any time a larger engine is an option, it means the base is marginal. Are you in conditions where you'll need the extra power?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I own a 2009 Hunter 36 with a 3YM30. I've never felt underpowered with either a three blade fixed, or three blade Flex-o-Fold of the proper size and pitch fitted to it. I can't speak to whether a 39 would feel underpowered, though no doubt the larger engine would be better. The best I can do is this table with the displacements for these Hunter models (all of which are post 2000 models). As you can see, the 39 is over 3,000 lbs heavier than my 36. I'll bet the H33 feels downright sprightly with the 3YM30! While the difference certainly would be noticeable by comparison between the H36 and H39, the only real way to know whether its an issue is to do a sea trial. You might also look for members who own an H38 with a 3YM30 and see what they think. There's not a lot of H39 owners out there that I've been able to find.

Hunter 33 - 10,410 lb
Hunter 36 - 15,326 lb
Hunter 38 - 17,674 lb
Hunter 39 - 18,501 lb

Edit: I looked through the H38 owner reviews, and most of them mentioned which engine they have in the boat, and all of those that did so have the 40hp Yanmar. Many of those owners who went further sang the praises of that motor for the H38, and some felt it should be the standard auxiliary for the boat. There were no H39 owner reviews, although there's 40 owners listed there that you could send a note to and see if any of them have the 3YM30.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have a 2008 Hunter 38 That we sail on the Great Lakes. We bought her new in 2009 (dealer demo). For the most part the specs of the 39 are very close to those of the 38.
I think they added a few more inches and called it a 39. Anyway after having sailed a Catalina 34 with the base engine that felt underpowered when dealing with a head wind and seas we were determined not to be underpowered again. So we chose the Hunter with the optional 40 HP engine. Very glad we did because we’ve had many occasions where we needed the oomph that the 40 horse can deliver. You are pushing a boat that weighs loaded around 20,000 pounds (if not more) with significant freeboard (lots of windage) and I think you will not be happy with the smaller engine. Especially on the ICW.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might consider another Hunter 39 with a 40 hp engine. Please let us know what you decided.

Jan 10, 2010
Hunter 33 Port Dover
Thanks to all for your comments and advice, they have been very helpful. We decided to pass on this boat for now. The majority views seems to support the underpowered verdict, but I can see circumstances when the 29HP would be perfectly fine. We plan to spend a lot of time in this boat and cover many miles, so would prefer to err on the side of caution and have that power available in the rare situations where we really need it.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Thanks to all for your comments and advice, they have been very helpful. We decided to pass on this boat for now. The majority views seems to support the underpowered verdict, but I can see circumstances when the 29HP would be perfectly fine. We plan to spend a lot of time in this boat and cover many miles, so would prefer to err on the side of caution and have that power available in the rare situations where we really need it.
Good decision. A rule of thumb for displacement hulls is 4-5 hp per ton to achieve hull speed. This may be useful when considering other boats.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Believe you made the right decision. Agree with your comment that in some circumstances it would be fine, such as if you are really sailing all the time and only using the engine to get in and out of a slip or approaching a mooring. But with your plans to travel the ICW where you’d have days of motoring with winds, tides and currents I don’t think the small engine would be suitable.