380 Tall Rig or Standard Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph Martens

I just placed an order for the 390 with wing keel and in mast furling. I would like to compensate for the loss of sail area from the in mast furling by ordering the tall rig option but am concerned about weight aloft, especially with the wing keel (390 draft is listed as 4'10''). Does anybody have experience with this combination on the 380? Any helpful insights would be appreciated...

G

gary jensen

380 set up

I have the 380 with wing keel and in-mast furling main set up. The boat performs well where I am (S F Bay Area). The winds are strong here and my sail area is very adequate. If I were to go cruising I would consider the taller rig for lighter air situations.I did have a tall rig 36, before my 380 on S F Bay. It had a fin keel though. I did not reef it much, although my wife would beg me to..I had sailed it in 33 knots, unreefed, and now looking back realize it was not too intelligent.

J

Jim

Tall Rig

I too just placed my order for the 390 with a wing keel and tall rig/ in-mast furling system. I am a bit concerned with the in-mast furling system. My only experience has been with a conventional main sail. It should be an interesting summer. PS: Are you in Northport MI?

Status
Not open for further replies.