380 Pointing Problems

• Thread starter Patrick Higgins
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick Higgins

I have C380 Hull #194, wing keel, RF 150 headsail. I've been very unhappy with it's pointing ability, especially in light air. I cant seem to get any closer than 50-55 degrees to the wind. Is this simply a function of the wing keel? The headsail seems very full, even when sheet lead is all the way aft. I jury rigged a barber hauler this weekend that seemed to help. Any thoughts?

M

Mark W

Pointing

Patrick- Is the foot of the head sail inside the life lines and is the upper leech close to the spreader (3" to 4")? Are you using the outside track for the sheet? Is the main sail leech almost centerline without a hook and is the boom centered? Headstay sag? You should be able to get about 30 to 35 degrees apparent in light air. A wing will not point as well as a fin but your keel if I remember is 5'9" that shouldn't hurt you too bad. It's alot better than the 4'2" wing on the smalled boats Mark

B

Bruce Croaning

Good Pointing

Have 380 hull #213 with wing keel and 135 jib. Am able to point 30-35 apparent in all winds if I center boom. Moving traveler up wind is essential. Other Catalina owners, especially 30's are amazed when they come on board on my ability to point.

G

Gary Jensen

Wing keel pointing (380)

I'v been sailing the same waters, with the same currents and the same wind conditions on a 27 O day, (hanked on jib with a fin keel, a 36 tall rig, with both hanked on and a furled jib ( fin keel), and a 380, furled jib, (WINGED KEEL)----- actively,for twenty years and notice no difference....Gary

D

Dave

Pointing

I have a CAT 27 and have worked with pointing problems for a couple of seasons. At long last I can now point!!!!!!! Things that I learned: Main sail must not be over stretched...Shrouds must be "tuned" to proper tension. Genoa must be sheeted inboard as much as possible. In my case I had to install a second inboard rail. Of all the things that seemed to work the most was the mast tuning. There are articles in the archives as to how to tune properly. I share your frustration. There is nothing harder to take than watch other boats point and you go sideways. Good luck!

M

Michael McCann

Pointing

When the wind is light, the Genoa sheet lead cars should be moved forward 2-4 stop holes (or more), not all the way aft. When the lead cars are all the way aft on the track it allows the top of the genoa (jib) to twist out. Sail trim, and mast tuning are the keys to pointing. Don't confuse leeway, and inability to point. You should still be able to point, but where you end up on an upwind leg is the result of leeway (and/or current).

Status
Not open for further replies.